Why become a member? ×

Help me to Understand the working of Variable Resistor

Matt brown

Since a few days, I have been trying to understand the working of variable resistors. I have read a quite a lot online articles but most of the information is too technical for me to understand may be because I'm a newbie ! I recently gone through this article https://www.derf.com/how-a-variable-resistor-works/ which is quite informative. Can anyone share me a few more resources like this? Also, where I can read more about the types of variable regulators. 

Thanks so much!

• Like 1

It would be harder to explain a variable resistor better than that, just the basic principle that if you have a material which is resistive, the more of the material you have, the more resistant it gets, so you can just vary the length of it and change the resistance.

Do you mean variable regulators or variable resistors - variable regulators are a lot more complicated.

Sorry if it's egg sucking (or wrong!):

One key thing about variable resistors.... two types: Logarithmic and Linear.

Logarithmics increase the resistance more in the first degrees of  the rotationn (or slide) than later on.

Linear each degree turned increases the resistance by the same amount.

Volume controls are typically log, because (as I understand it) that's how human psychoacoustics relates to the sound.

Tone controls for example I think are typically linear.

2 minutes ago, Nail Soup said:

Sorry if it's egg sucking (or wrong!):

One key thing about variable resistors.... two types: Logarithmic and Linear.

Logarithmics increase the resistance more in the first degrees of  the rotationn (or slide) than later on.

Linear each degree turned increases the resistance by the same amount.

Volume controls are typically log, because (as I understand it) that's how human psychoacoustics relates to the sound.

Tone controls for example I think are typically linear.

Yes, if a volume control was linear, although the sound level is, as you say, dropping at a consistent rate, the human ear hears it as an accelerated amount in the first (or last depending which way we're going) section of the sweep. So a logarithmic control counter balances that quirk of human hearing to make it sound equal throughout the sweep. 

• Like 1