Why become a member? ×

Has anyone ever added a musicman pickup to a single coil p bass?

Delberthot

Something I've been thinking about for a while now but I can't find any pictures to see what it will look like when done.

I've still to finalise how I'm going to wire up the electronics but more importantly to me just now is how it will look. I'm incredibly shallow when it comes to basses. Definitely looks first.

I wasn't sure where to put this as its not necessarily a pickup question, just a request to see if anyone has a picture of a single coil P bass with a musicman pickup as well.

Anyway, here's the bass in question:

I would've been really cool if I could've hid it by making it metallic gold but other than fablon, I can't think of anything to cover a pickup with that wouldn't affect its performance - but that's a pickup question and I'll save that for if/when I decide to go for it or not.

I've seen a P/MM configuration as in the thread below, but never a singlecoil/MM.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42403"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42403[/url]

I think it would work well with the finish you have, though. Especially if you get a pickup with exposed pole pieces.

EDIT: Five minutes in Photoshop gives you this......

[attachment=22766:basswithpickup.jpg]

The angle's a bit off, but should give a good enough idea. I think it looks great. It would be interesting to know how they would sound blended. :)

Edited by rjb

[quote name='Delberthot' post='441223' date='Mar 21 2009, 06:41 PM']Something I've been thinking about for a while now but I can't find any pictures to see what it will look like when done.

I've still to finalise how I'm going to wire up the electronics but more importantly to me just now is how it will look. I'm incredibly shallow when it comes to basses. Definitely looks first.[/quote]

To be honest I think it'd spoil a lovely looking bass, lookswise. MM pickups look like a different era; it'd be like fitting Honda headlamps to an old Bentley.

Soundwise it'd be great though, as there's enough gap between the existing pickup and the bridge to fit it in the classic MM position, not too close to the bridge.

[quote]To be honest I think it'd spoil a lovely looking bass, lookswise.[/quote]

Normally I'd agree, but seeing as the bass is already blinged to the max, an extra sub-woofer in the boot (so to speak) won't do any harm, in my opinion.

Of course, whether the routing would crack the finish is another question....

Edited by rjb

[quote name='josh3184' post='446281' date='Mar 26 2009, 06:27 PM']i personally think it would look better with an MM. I dont like expanses of body with nothing there- each to their own of course! Sandberg are a manufacturer that have a P/MM config and if i recall its quite popular[/quote]

+1

I think with an MM in there, it'll look great.

[quote name='josh3184' post='446281' date='Mar 26 2009, 06:27 PM']i personally think it would look better with an MM. I dont like expanses of body with nothing there- each to their own of course! Sandberg are a manufacturer that have a P/MM config and if i recall its quite popular[/quote]

+1 with the body space i think theres plenty of room, would look right in my opinion

i wasn't intending to run both pickups together. I wanted more of a 2 basses in one kind of thing.

Single coil exactly as it is just now and the musicman wired passively with its own volume and treble wired straight to the jack as well. So I can have it as it is now and then switch to just the musicman pickup for other stuff. I was thinking along the lines of a Villex pickup - something that was designed to be passive.

I'm actually wondering now what a second single coil would sound like there? i could use both of those wired like a jazz and get the benefits of hum cancelling.

Lots more to think about before i start putting holes in my beloved bass