Why become a member? ×

Aguilar AGRO pedal

ped

IMG_5792.jpeg

I have been after a specific bass distortion sound for a while now but as I don't really have cause to use it, and because buying pedals is quite a gamble and trying them in store is either impossible or difficult to judge, I've never really got round to discovering the pedal I need.

I used to play in a funk metal band when I was at university, and we went on a trip to see Cult of Luna play in Birmingham, where I heard the bass distortion sound I wanted. It seems to me that too many distortion pedals add fizz on top of the signal, rob it of punch or make the bass sound blend into the guitar too much and consequently drop out.

I wanted a bass distortion that sounds similar to this:

To me, it distorts and breaks up the bass, making it dirty and fat but really thick and growly.

Then I heard this demo, which features some rather bored looking youth playing a jazz bass (always my bass of choice for distorted sounds). He is downtrend a fair bit here which helps match the sound but this particular part of the demo had me interested:

So I got the pedal and it sounds really great, especially like I say on a jazz - something about that hollow broken up gutsy sound just sounds great in the mix (although I've only been playing along with backing tracks through my headphone setup)

So yeah pretty pleased with it. Aguilar have sorted the pedal box too so that you can use right angled cables, where before I think there was an overhang.

Cheers

ped

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A righteous pedal. Love that it can go from old school Andy Fraser/early Gene Simmons to Darkglass territory. The ‘Agro’ name can be misleading - it can be quite subdued. Plus, hugely responsive to playing dynamics makes it just a fun pedal to play with.

Edited by Gareth Hughes
  • Like 1