Why become a member? ×

Broughton Audio: HPF + LPF + mids... I WANT ONE!

mcnach

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

40 Hz is quite a low Bass EQ centre point - same as on the Markbass LM2/3. Interested that Mesa went for this on the new series - they had it at 55 Hz on the Carbine series (I've got the M6) and have a very sophisticated EQ just on the bass control, which effectively includes an HPF in the cut:

The BASS control is actually a gain and frequency control all rolled into one with the Q center at 55Hz and harmonics in both low and high directions are affected because of its broader band nature. As the control is increased past 12 noon there is a 6db per octave rise in gain with the frequency topping out at 321Hz. With 12 noon straight-up representing “flat” (a no boost/no cut setting). As the BASS control is dialled below 12 noon, 55Hz and all associated harmonics are reduced and eventually notched completely out of the signal. Conversely, there is a 6db per octave cut beginning at 55Hz going down to 20Hz where the shelving ends with a cut gain of -20db as the control approaches 7:30pm (off).

PS In terms of what you're doing it seems to me you're therefore boosting at 40 Hz centre with the result that most significant cut from your HPF will be 30Hz and below i.e. effectively clearing out low end crud. That's pretty similar to the job that my Thumpinator is doing.

I agree about the 40Hz. It seems pretty common on bass onboard preamps and I was never a fan, I would prefer a bit higher... but as it's common I'm used to how it behaves. One preamp that caught my attention recently with what I think are more suitable EQ points is the Darkglass Tone Capsule with bass at 70 Hz, then low mids at 500 Hz and high mids at 2.8 KHz. If in the future I want to put a preamp on one of my basses I think I will have to look at this one.

No, what I'm doing is not what you describe. I set the HPF higher than the Thumpinator, quite a bit higher. The Thumpinator is essentially transparent, and I am talking of audible effects. The centre frequency for the bass control may be 40 Hz but it is not a sharp peak and it affects quite a lot the frequencies around it too, which is the key. By combining the adjustable HPF and the bass EQ you can get a noticeable bump probably up to 120 Hz or more (where and how pronounced the bump will be depends on the exact settings, you can move that peak around).

You could experiment a bit in your favourite DAW, with the advantage that you can see the EQ curves, and you'll see what I mean. It's a very useful 'trick' when mixing. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mcnach said:

I agree about the 40Hz. It seems pretty common on bass onboard preamps and I was never a fan, I would prefer a bit higher... but as it's common I'm used to how it behaves. One preamp that caught my attention recently with what I think are more suitable EQ points is the Darkglass Tone Capsule with bass at 70 Hz, then low mids at 500 Hz and high mids at 2.8 KHz. If in the future I want to put a preamp on one of my basses I think I will have to look at this one.

No, what I'm doing is not what you describe. I set the HPF higher than the Thumpinator, quite a bit higher. The Thumpinator is essentially transparent, and I am talking of audible effects. The centre frequency for the bass control may be 40 Hz but it is not a sharp peak and it affects quite a lot the frequencies around it too, which is the key. By combining the adjustable HPF and the bass EQ you can get a noticeable bump probably up to 120 Hz or more (where and how pronounced the bump will be depends on the exact settings, you can move that peak around).

You could experiment a bit in your favourite DAW, with the advantage that you can see the EQ curves, and you'll see what I mean. It's a very useful 'trick' when mixing. 

Solid advice!

• 4 weeks later...

My HPF/LPF arrived last week. Considering New Year etc I didn’t think that was too bad. Too early to tell if I’ll like it though, as at home volumes my bass & practice amp don’t generate the boom that I want the pedal to eliminate, I’ll only find out once the band get back rehearsing — which can’t come round soon enough.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mcnach said:

... and it arrived yesterday. Not bad, considering all the issues with transport etc!

Now I just need some time to really get to play around with it, probably not until the weekend...

Congrats. I’ve no doubt you’ll make solid use of it!