Why become a member? ×

I'm new, and my Bass is broke.

NewUser

39 minutes ago, NewUser said:

Okay now don't let me blow nothing up ...

The 'standard' way of using it would be to plug the Output Left/Mono into the input of the amp. Fx Send and Return are for adding further Fx. Leave that for now, and just use the Mono Output. B|

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewUser said:

I need a box to put the speaker in...

You do, indeed, need to put the speaker in a box. It may sound good like that, but it will sound so much better in a box, and it'll damage itself if you use it much in the open like that. (How do I know..? Don't ask..! I, too, was young, foolish, unexperienced and broke, once...). Once you get a box, the important part is to make sure that there's a good, airtight seal between the rim of the speaker and the box, and the the speaker is securely bolted to the box.
You can try an experiment, whilst waiting. Find a stout cardboard box, of any reasonable size (roughly a 30 cm cube or so; it's not critical...). Cut a hole in one face, perfectly round, and just the size for the speaker to nestle into, supported by its rim. Feed the cable through the back of the box, and listen to the difference when the speaker is firmly in the hole, and when it's lifted out. It should be quite conclusive. Worth a try..? :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh crap!

So I'm on ebay shopping for a box to put my speaker in and revisited where I got the wire.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Guitar-amplifier-cabinet-amp-1-speaker-wiring-harness-16-or-8-ohm-1x12-1x10-1x8/163662439950?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Is this safe? It says 16 or 8 ohm. I have a 4 ohm speaker. I thought wire was wire, do I need to get something else or is this safe? Is there a correct wire that will improve sound or anything? My girlfriend has been saying, you are going to get electrocuted or burn the place down playing like that, oh please tell me she's wrong. I hate having to tell her she was right.

31 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

It's fine. Your present one is fine, too. Is that a guitar jack cable you're using for the speaker..? It'll work at low volume, but should really be a speaker cable. See about changing that while you're at it.

Are you talking about the blue wire?

36 minutes ago, NewUser said:

Are you talking about the blue wire?

Yes

Learn also that 'wire' has only one conductor, 'cables' have more. You have red and black speaker 'wires' (only one conducting core...), the blue 'cable' has at least two. You can help yourself by using the correct terminology; it'll make communication much easier, and maybe even safer, for yourself and others. Just sayin'. B|

• Thanks 1

On 27/01/2021 at 20:50, Dad3353 said:

Yes

Learn also that 'wire' has only one conductor, 'cables' have more. You have red and black speaker 'wires' (only one conducting core...), the blue 'cable' has at least two. You can help yourself by using the correct terminology; it'll make communication much easier, and maybe even safer, for yourself and others. Just sayin'. B|

I have a proper speaker cable now.

I need a bend for it. I want one that is just plug and play. This one says you have to solder. Links, product names or part numbers will be greatly appreciated from anyone. 

https://reverb.com/item/1027818-switchcraft-type-236-1-4-stereo-right-angle-plug

1 hour ago, NewUser said:

The description says for flying v guitar. Does that work on speaker cable and instrument cable?

For the use you're putting 'em to, it'll work just fine. They mention 'V'-guitars; they could just as easily have listed most guitars, amps and speakers. They work less well on some guitars with recessed jack sockets, such as Strats and the like (or speaker cabs with recessed plates...). They are not suitable for high-power speaker loads (no jacks are...); Speakon connectors are preferable for connections over 200w or so (although some older amps and cabs had jack connectors...).

On 01/02/2021 at 09:58, Dad3353 said:

For the use you're putting 'em to, it'll work just fine. They mention 'V'-guitars; they could just as easily have listed most guitars, amps and speakers. They work less well on some guitars with recessed jack sockets, such as Strats and the like (or speaker cabs with recessed plates...). They are not suitable for high-power speaker loads (no jacks are...); Speakon connectors are preferable for connections over 200w or so (although some older amps and cabs had jack connectors...).

Are you talking about one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1ft-1-4-Right-Angle-Mono-TS-Male-to-Locking-Female-Speaker-Audio-Extension/273516012913?hash=item3faed32571:g:hEkAAOSwJd1byij1

1 minute ago, NewUser said:

Your question is not very precise; I'll answer as best I understand it. You wanted to know if the right-angled jack I'd linked is suitable for your use, despite the mention of 'V' guitars. I wanted to assure you that 'Yes, it's fine for your use'. However, I also added that, for higher-powered systems, jacks, of any sort, are not the best for speaker leads. This, to warn you that your current use is fine, but if, later, you procure a more powerful amp and speaker, it would be advisable to equally procure adequate leads, notable Speakons, such as this ...

DHCzKAN.jpg 

No need for now; use the cables and connectors that you have.
I hope this clarifies things..?

• Thanks 1

The thing that's got me a bit confused is, you need (instrument cable) for instruments and pedals but you need (speaker cable) going to the speaker; but that elbow bend adapter will work on both speaker cable and instrument cable. I just can't wrap my mind around how that's possible. I believe it, just don't understand how. I would assume a seperate special dedicated adapter would be required for each type cable. Makes sense why a beginner would think this right?

Instrument cables are screened to reduce noise (often with extra layers to further reduce noise and improve performance with small signals), and have relatively thin conductors for flexibility, lightness and to reduce cost. Used as speaker leads they work at low volumes but will probably 'fuse' if pushed hard or at least run warm and limit output.

Speaker cables don't need screening (which reduces cost) as they carry larger signals and use thicker, heavier conductors instead. Used for an instrument they will be noisy and clumsy.

You could have a dual-purpose cable with thick conductors and screening but it would be heavy, fat, expensive and probably less flexible than ideal.

For a short unscreened cable you might get away with it in a not-very noisy (as in electrical noise) environment, but usually it will mean annoying hum when you aren't playing.

Jack sockets themselves work with high currents and voltages and they have been used for instrument speakers for many years.

They have two main disadvantages - an unplugged lead can easily short out and they can accidentally be plugged into sockets meant for instrument level signals. They also have less current carrying capacity (up to 15A - still enough for a pretty scary amplifier) than Speakon (which can take 30A).

Speakon were only introduced in 1987 and were initially used for high power PA speakers and only relatively recently for lower powered instrument amplifiers.

Before Speakon special XLR-style jacks were typically used for PA speakers (and sometimes still are). These share the risk of being confused with instrument/microphone leads but are less likely to get shorted accidentally than 1/4" jacks.

Although Speakon are the ideal, you will find that most lower-priced amps/speakers will use 1/4" jacks. Some gear even has hybrid sockets that take Speakon OR a 1/4" jack:

https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/speakon-loudspeaker-connectors/speakon-chassis-connectors/speakon-combo

My (rather elderly) amps and speakers all have 1/4" jacks, so I made up sets of speaker leads with heavy-duty mains cable in bright orange with high quality plugs that I can't confuse with my instrument leads, but if I had the choice I would go with speakon.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NewUser said:

...Makes sense why a beginner would think this right?

A beginner with no idea of what's involved, maybe. The 'secret' is in the knowledge of how electricity works. The electrical impulses (signal...) from the guitar to the amplifier are of low intensity (that's 'current'...). A guitar cable has been made to pass this low signal, with little loss, and to remain flexible and parasitic-noise-resistant, which means having fine copper wires and a braided screening sheath under that plastic protection. The very fineness of these wires makes it incapable of supporting high currents. The amplifier (the clue is in the name...) 'amplifies' the signal to become a much stronger signal, which implies, in our case, much more current. When current passes through electrical cables, heat is generated, depending on the intensity and quality of the wires. Speaker cables do not need the bulky screening of guitar cables; their thickness is explained rather by the much great cross-section (thickness...) of the wires inside, able to pass much higher, more intense currents. If a guitar jack is used between amp and speaker, the too-strong current can melt and destroy the cable, and maybe short out the amp to its destruction. An appropriately-configued speaker cable does not carry this risk.
Now, as for the jack itself... Internally, there is a stout connection between the inner and outer contacts, capable by a large margin of handling any signal from a guitar. Able, too, to handle signal from a medium amplifier to a modest speaker, as long as the intensity (current...) remains within its designed range. Too high a current (that's to say, a high-powered amp driving a powerful speaker...) would probably cause, over time, failure by overheating in the same way as an ill-adapted cable. I would guess that adaptors of the sort you have are well able to safely perform the use which you've shown, at modest power levels, but would be better replaced with more apt cabling if the amp/speaker power were to be noticeably augmented. There's no 'golden rule', but experience suggests to me that guitar jacks are never to be used between amps and speakers, and that, above 200w or so, Speakon cables and connectors are the way tp go. The components you have will do the task you ask of them with no issues, but will not withstand high-power use of the sort I've described.
I hope this brief glimpse into the wonderful world of electronics is useful; more study on your part will be helpful to you for years and decades to come, and is recommended. B|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1