Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Impedances

Hi there, can anyone help?

I currently have an:

* Ampeg SVT-6 Pro amp (with an output power rating of 1100 Watts RMS, 4 ohm load, 120VAC, 5% THD, and
750 Watts RMS, 8 ohm load, 120VAC, 5% THD - I copied and pasted this from the brochure)
* Ampeg SVT-410 HLF speaker cabinet (4 ohms impedance).

I'd like to add a bit more bottom-end welly to my sound. So, I thought about getting an Ampeg 1x15 speaker. However, the impedance on these in 8 ohms - which is different to my 4 ohms SVT-410 HLF.

Could I use an 8 ohms Ampeg 1x15 with my 4 ohms SVT-410 HLF speaker? Or does my choice of second speaker also have to be 4 ohms? If so, I was thinking about getting another SVT-410 HLF to make the most of my amp. Or is there a better speaker cabinet for getting some trouser-flapping rumble?

Thanks for your help folks - much appreciated.

Steve

Edited by mildmanofrock

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='437065' date='Mar 17 2009, 11:45 AM']Hi there, can anyone help?

I currently have an:

* Ampeg SVT-6 Pro amp (with an output power rating of 1100 Watts RMS, 4 ohm load, 120VAC, 5% THD, and
750 Watts RMS, 8 ohm load, 120VAC, 5% THD - I copied and pasted this from the brochure)

I'd like to add a bit more bottom-end welly to my sound. So, I thought about getting an Ampeg 1x15 speaker. However, the impedance on these in 8 ohms - which is different to my 4 ohms SVT-410 HLF.

Could I use an 8 ohms Ampeg 1x15 with my 4 ohms SVT-410 HLF speaker? Or does my choice of second speaker also have to be 4 ohms? If so, I was thinking about getting another SVT-410 HLF to make the most of my amp. Or is there a better speaker cabinet for getting some trouser-flapping rumble?

Steve[/quote]

the way cabs are usually wired, you'd need 2 x 8ohm cabs to replace 1 x 4ohm cab - if you run a 4 and an 8 you'll dip below 4 ohms and risk blowing things up (assuming the limit is 4ohm)

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='437065' date='Mar 17 2009, 11:45 AM']Hi there, can anyone help?

I currently have an:

Steve[/quote]

The minimum impedance you can present to your amp is 4-ohms. If you use an 8-ohm cab with your existing 4-ohm cab the total impednace will be 2.66-ohms which will blow the amp.

If you want two cabs then they must both be 8-ohms.

I'm sure this is all explained in the Wiki.

Edited by obbm

The spec for your cab is

LF Drivers: 4 x 10” Cast Speakers
Voice Coil: 2.5”
Magnet Weight: 56 oz
HF Driver: Horn/Driver
Voice Coil: 1”
Magnet Weight: 8 oz
RMS Power Handling: 600-Watts
Frequency Response (-3dB): 33Hz - 18kHz
Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 29Hz
Crossover Frequency: 4kHz
Nominal Impedance: 4-Ohms
Sensitivity: 96dB
Maximum SPL: 124dB
Dimensions (W x H x D inches): 26.25 x 30.75 x 18.75
Weight: 128 Pounds

How are you NOT getting enough bass out of that rig? You must be able to dial more bottom end?

Thanks for your help folks.

Like you say, the answers are probably elsewhere, but I find some of the explanations a bit tricky for my addled brain - this is really clear though, thanks.

I know the cab's specification is pretty good but it just seems to lack bottom-end sometimes. Tis a shame I can't add another speaker - it looks like I'll either have to stick with what I've got or sell the speaker and buy a couple of 8ohms cabinets.

Cheers!

Steve

[quote name='mildmanofrock' post='437103' date='Mar 17 2009, 12:19 PM']Thanks for your help folks.

Like you say, the answers are probably elsewhere, but I find some of the explanations a bit tricky for my addled brain - this is really clear though, thanks.

I know the cab's specification is pretty good but it just seems to lack bottom-end sometimes. Tis a shame I can't add another speaker - it looks like I'll either have to stick with what I've got or sell the speaker and buy a couple of 8ohms cabinets.

Cheers!

Steve[/quote]

Two things you could try:

one, experiment with placement - close to a wall (and in the corner of a room) will make a difference.

two, get someone else to play through your rig and stand back and listen - quite often what sounds poor to you will turn out to be much different to those further away.

[quote name='Paul_C' post='437121' date='Mar 17 2009, 12:29 PM']Two things you could try:

one, experiment with placement - close to a wall (and in the corner of a room) will make a difference.

two, get someone else to play through your rig and stand back and listen - quite often what sounds poor to you will turn out to be much different to those further away.[/quote]

Thanks Paul, I'll give that a try.

Steve