Why become a member? ×

Another American "Yank" looking for a Wal and Loves Metallica bass guitars.

BlackElan

Noticed there was a influx of Americans looking for Wal mkII 4 strings. Lucky for me Paul Herman replied back to me stating that I am on the wait list for a new Wal when he gets to it but enough about the Wal...

Just wanted to say Hi, I am from the San Francisco Bay Area in California USA.

As my user name states and some of you may know me from the Alembic club I have a 5 string Elan on the way from Alembic. Mine is a exact replica of the Elan Jason Newsted used during the Damaged Justice tour with Metallica in 89. If you have any questions about Newsted's Alembics please ask I have spoke with Alembic employees and reviewed enough hours of footage to know every last spec of each of his Alembics.

I also have a very impressive collection of Aria Super Basses since I am a big Cliff Burton fan. I have quite a few original Black N Gold basses and a black SB1000 all original not reissues. Any questions about Cliff's Arias I can probably help.

-Jason

[quote name='BlackElan' post='437064' date='Mar 17 2009, 11:44 AM']Just wanted to say Hi, I am from the San Francisco Bay Area in California USA.[/quote]

You extremely lucky bugger! :)

And finally someone who's on par with me regarding Jason and Cliff.

And as such my question is this, have you actually got any photo evidence of Cliff using the Alembic Spolier?

And Welcome Jason!

[quote name='BlackElan' post='437064' date='Mar 17 2009, 11:44 AM']Mine is a exact replica of the Elan Jason Newsted used during the Damaged Justice tour with Metallica in 89. If you have any questions about Newsted's Alembics please ask I have spoke with Alembic employees and reviewed enough hours of footage to know every last spec of each of his Alembics.

I also have a very impressive collection of Aria Super Basses since I am a big Cliff Burton fan. I have quite a few original Black N Gold basses and a black SB1000 all original not reissues. Any questions about Cliff's Arias I can probably help.[/quote]

'Study Music not Musicians' - Lincoln Goines

Welcome, Jason. :)

[quote name='jonthebass' post='437094' date='Mar 17 2009, 05:13 AM']Hello Jason and welcome to our forum.

I'm interested in the spec of your Newstead Elan as I know next to nothing about them, any pictures, specs, etc you can share with us?

'Cheers'
Jon.[/quote]

The Alembic Elan Jason Newsted used was 5 string and had a pickup config of J-P-J. The Elan wad a maple body and neck with purple heart laminate. 3 volume knobs, q switch and a pan filter knob with gold hardware. It can be seen in this video from 89.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysy4_Sx3iew"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysy4_Sx3iew[/url]

In 1991 the Elan was upgraded to Alembic series II electronics along with his other Alembics plus he received a batch of brand new ones. They were presented to him on the day of the kick off for the Black Album tour during the Oakland, California Day on the Green. Here you can see his 6 string series II Europa.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cfTUipdWRs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cfTUipdWRs[/url]

After 91 all his Alembics had Series II electronics which is a 7000 US dollar upcharge. They were also fitted with black hardware and LEDs.

I had found that if I wanted the Elan I had to decide what "Era" I wanted to copy. I chose the 89 Alembic Elan. I thought it looked nicer with gold hardware plus cheaper since it does not have the series II electronics.

All his basses were painted a color called "Almost Black" since you could see a flamed maple top if you were within 2 feet of the bass. From far away they look like they were painted solid black.

[quote name='bassaussie' post='437212' date='Mar 17 2009, 06:25 AM']Hi Jason, welcome to the forum.

Something I've always been curious about. Jason Newstead is known for his use of top end instruments - Wals, Alembics, Sadowskys etc. Which instruments do you think gave Jason his best sound with Metallica?[/quote]

I have seen Metallica live at almost every single show from 91 to 2000 here in the Bay area. I even got to see the S&M show in person.

The best Newsted sound I have heard was from his Alembics with Series II electronics from the 91-93 era. It was a very "lead" sound.

I would have to say the best sounding show overall was there 91 show I saw at the Cow Palace.

I never saw him use his Wals in person but I was never impressed with their sounds of the bootlegs I heard from 88-89.

When he was using the Spectors for a short time I could not really hear them so I will withhold judgement. The Sadowsky basses I would say were his second best overall sound.

Justin Chancellor was the one that really got me into Wal basses as well as Geddy.

[quote name='Josh' post='437234' date='Mar 17 2009, 06:33 AM']You extremely lucky bugger! :)

And finally someone who's on par with me regarding Jason and Cliff.

And as such my question is this, have you actually got any photo evidence of Cliff using the Alembic Spolier?

And Welcome Jason![/quote]

Yes he used a Alembic spoiler and it was all black. It got stolen out of his car in Castro Valley in 85.

[quote name='BlackElan' post='437994' date='Mar 18 2009, 09:28 AM']I have seen Metallica live at almost every single show from 91 to 2000 here in the Bay area. I even got to see the S&M show in person.

The best Newsted sound I have heard was from his Alembics with Series II electronics from the 91-93 era. It was a very "lead" sound.

I would have to say the best sounding show overall was there 91 show I saw at the Cow Palace.

I never saw him use his Wals in person but I was never impressed with their sounds of the bootlegs I heard from 88-89.

When he was using the Spectors for a short time I could not really hear them so I will withhold judgement. The Sadowsky basses I would say were his second best overall sound.

Justin Chancellor was the one that really got me into Wal basses as well as Geddy.[/quote]

Very comprehensive, thanks!!