Why become a member? ×

Mini basses - 28.5" scale

TheGreek

I've been looking at a mini bass since playing one of Jezza's ( @Jabba_the_gut ) at a Herts Bash. The choice is somewhat limited and I'm looking at possibly going for the Squier.

https://www.mannsmusic.co.uk/guitars/fender-squier-mini-precision-bass-black-laurel.htm?opt=24087&gclid=CjwKCAjwnef6BRAgEiwAgv8mQZgMNWOZCitbO0zwe8iIKtWqzwhjXS9igjXdE7KJN92tWi9YzTVnaxoCldcQAvD_BwE

Before jumping in I'm looking at the choice of strings which I suspect will be limited - I know about Newtone but does anybody know of what others may be available - preferably in a .30 or .35 gauge.

How good are the pups, tuners and bridge?? 

Edited by TheGreek

I’ve used Newtone strings for the two 27” scale headed basses I build recently. Really impressed with them. Not sure who else supplies strings to this scale but there are more very short scale basses appearing all the time.

The two 23” headless basses use any strings you like as they have string clamps at the head stock. I’m going to make an additional neck for one of them at 27” scale to see how that feels. 

I built the first of these as a travel bass but since then have found the 27” scale really comfy to play. They’re all tuned at normal pitch and all sound like ‘proper’ basses.

Cheers

• Like 1