maidens97

Ampeg Opto comp, anyone used one?

Considering buying one of these in the next couple of months as guitar guitar has them for £75 brand new, although open minded to other comps. Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with one and can recommend or tell me to avoid them? Tried searching but couldn't find any threads on it.

Should note that I've previously owned a Diamond Compressor and a Seymour Duncan Studio Bass.

Edited by maidens97

Had one before. Wasn’t too bad, but it thickens the sound in a way that put in front of my SansAmp BDDI V2, it was too much (the SansAmp also compresses a tiny bit). It’s easy to use, and for the price, it does a good job. Wasn’t a fan of how it colours the sound, that’s all. Very happy with my Keeley Bassist, which is very transparent. Not the same budget though!

Bought one recently and have to say, I love it! Compression is very good but also gives you a real Ampeg tone too. Best £75 I’ve spent in while 👍

I also own one.  Like @andy67 above, I like the Ampeg tone so I'm keeping mine.  I also have a TC Spectradrive which has compressor tone prints; the few I have tried aren't as good as the Ampeg, to my ears.  

• Like 1

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2020 at 23:43, maidens97 said:

Should note that I've previously owned a Diamond Compressor and a Seymour Duncan Studio Bass.

Not impressed with the Diamond or SDSB then? In the market for a new compressor too, so just curious.

1 hour ago, jbu09 said:

Not impressed with the Diamond or SDSB then? In the market for a new compressor too, so just curious.

Was actually very impressed the SDSB but not so much with the diamond but others swear by it. Would have definitely have the SDSB again but feel silly buying pedals twice 🥺

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, maidens97 said:

Was actually very impressed the SDSB but not so much with the diamond but others swear by it. Would have definitely have the SDSB again but feel silly buying pedals twice 🥺

I've bought an Ampeg SVT-3pro 6 times now 😮 

40 minutes ago, andy67 said:

I've bought an Ampeg SVT-3pro 6 times now 😮 

Okay that makes me feel better haha. I have bought a few pedals multiple times come to think of it 🥴

• Haha 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bouvier
      Ampeg PF20T along with matching PF-210HE cab.   Bought new last year and virtually unused (I prefer my Orange OB300 Combo).  It is in as new condition complete with Roqsolid cover.  Pete Cornish Speaker Cable plus standard Ampeg lead and full instructions, screws etc...      Ideally would prefer collection, may be able to deliver/meet for cost of fuel.
      Interested in trade with cash either way for Hollowbody Bass - Gibson, Epiphone, Gretsch, Guild, Eastman or similar.   PMs work best.
      Head details: 
      The Ampeg PF20T Tube Head is a Bass Guitar Amplifier Tube Head with 3-band bass, mid and treble tone controls and an input gain control.  This studio-worthy head has the same legendary tone and portability as the Ampeg Portaflex amplifiers and provides a harmonically rich 20 watts of pure Ampeg tone. 
      The PF-20T has simple user-adjustable bias adjustment for easy tune replacement.  No speaker load is necessary for silent recording and the PF-20T can be used as a dedicated tube DI.  The PF-20T can be easily paired with the PF-112HLF for a fantastic and compact all-tube Bass guitar rig.
      Price reduced to £625    NOW   £575
      The main features of the Ampeg PF20T Tube Head include:
      Bass Amp All-tube Design Power: 20 watts into 4 ohms or 8 ohms Tubes: 2x 12AX7, 2x 6V6 3-band EQ Controls: Gain, Bass, Midrange, Treble, Volume Pre / Post EQ Ground Lift Switch Speaker connector: 1x 6.35 mm jack Dimensions (WxHxD): 330 x 185 x 264 mm  Weight: 6.9 kg Features:
      Manufacturer: Ampeg Power Output (Watt): 20 Build: Tubes Circuit: Class A/B Number of Channels: 1 Sound Control: Standard EQ LINE OUT: Yes DI out: Pre+Post Number of Speaker Connections: 1 Speaker Connection: Jack Housing Format: Head Width (mm): 330 Height (mm): 185 Length (mm): 264 Weight (kg): 6.9  
      Cab details:
      Equipped with: 2 x 10" Ceramic Eminence LF speakers and 1" HF compression driver with L-pad volume control Power rating: 450 W RMS @ 8 Ohm Frequency range: 37 Hz - 17 kHz Sensitivity: 99.6 dB SPL @ 1 W / 1 m Dimensions (H x W x D): 584.20 x 533.40 x 355.60 mm Weight: 21.6 kg Vintage Portaflex Flip Top design, Black Diamond Tolex, Vintage B-15 grill cloth Interested in trade with cash either way for Hollowbody Bass - Gibson, Epiphone, Gretsch, Guild, Eastman or similar.   PMs work best.

• By loremil
      Price Drop: £90
      For sale an MXR dyna comp mini bass compressor. Works perfectly, great condition. Selling as I don't really need/use it. Comes with velcro.
      Collection in Hackney, London or shipment at buyer's expense. Thanks for looking.
      Key Features
      The classic Dyna Comp Compressor sound re-tuned for bass players Clean control lets you add in your unaffected so that you can maintain low end integrity Tone control adjusts upper midrange to retain the tonal dynamics of your bass Attack switch toggles between a vintage style slow attack time and a modern style fast attack time Familiar Output and Sensitivity controls set volume level and the length of sustain
    • By dodge_bass
      Doing a bit of a clear out of stuff I don't use any more - all priced to sell. Add £5 for P&P
      MXR Bass comp - taken as part of a trade so not needed - £90 (with box but no instructions)
      Markbass Compressore (tube) - just not for me - £90 (no box but will be well packed)
      Empress compressor - £SOLD
      Dave Hall Valve pre DI - no longer being made - £SOLD
      Trades - looking for a chorus pedal / flanger or 8ve pedals.

Drop me a PM - I can get these packed up and sent off very quickly.

• By spyder
      Almost new Ampeg Optical Compressor.
      Boxed.
      £55 UK posted.