Why become a member? ×

Extra short scale strings

Paul S

I have half an eye on a very short scale bass but, unusually for me, have started to think about the practical issues.  Not the least of which are strings.  

What are the options for instruments with 26-27" scale length?  I am thinking pretty limited.  How do folks with those extra short scale basses get on? 

Especially flatwound strings?

Muchas gracias :)     

I use an Ibanez GSRM20 Mikro Bass as my main too, it has a bit longer scale then the 27" you talk about, namely 28,6", but I only found advantages with the short scale and no disadvantages, I have an idea that anything shorter might have disadvantages though.

I only use round wound strings, but one thing to be aware of is that even though the tension will be lower thicker strings will feel stiffer and less flexible on the short scale than on a regular 34" bass in comparison, as for round wounds in regular 4 string E standard tuning I found .100 to .045 to suit perfectly for the Mikro's 28,6" scale length.  

Edited by Baloney Balderdash

I own and use short scale basses at the moment and like them a lot.  Totally sold on them, in fact.  So it isn't the merits or otherwise of a short scale length that concern me. 

The particular bass I am musing over, according to the measurement I have been given, is a 26" scale and, as such, I was wondering about strings.  Specifically the physical side of getting them to actually fit without cutting longer scale length strings with the associated issues of the tapes unravelling..  

29 minutes ago, Paul S said:

I own and use short scale basses at the moment and like them a lot.  Totally sold on them, in fact.  So it isn't the merits or otherwise of a short scale length that concern me. 

The particular bass I am musing over, according to the measurement I have been given, is a 26" scale and, as such, I was wondering about strings.  Specifically the physical side of getting them to actually fit without cutting longer scale length strings with the associated issues of the tapes unravelling..  

I have often cut roundwound strings made to fit a regular 34" scale bass to size to fit my on my Mikro Bass, and if done properly, making sure to make an abrupt break on the string below the cut and making the cut as clean as possible, I have never ever experienced the strings starting to unravel, have tuning instability issues, or any other sort of issue usually associated with cutting bass strings to size.

However I am pretty sure from what I have read and heard, even if not having any specific personal experience, that cutting flatwound strings to size is considerably more problematic, and might cause exactly issues similar to the ones mentioned above, so sorry, can't really help you.

I guess your only option really will be to have custom strings made specifically for your needs, I know for a fact that some companies do this, but as I have never had any use for this I can't name any of them, I am sure someone else can be of help with this though. 

And as a fellow sub-short scale bass enthusiast I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Thanks 1