Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Multitrack USB recording

MirrorMan

I think the big question is 'how much do you want to spend?'. Also, '6 or more' is a bit vague, do you mean 2 more or 22 more?

And to be a little more helpful, I used the Mackie Onyx 1640i for a long time, might be more than you need, might be less, they do versions from 8 to 24 tracks IIRC. Not top end by any means, but decent preamps.

19 minutes ago, MirrorMan said:

...Six is a bit vague! ...

It would be wise to decide...

How many simultaneous inputs..?
How many of these inputs need to be mic inputs..?
How many of these inputs need to supply phantom power (condenser mics, notably, or DI boxes...)
Do any inputs need 'insert' capability (for inserting treatment and/or Fx pre-DAW...)
How many 'aux' channels may be required (either for adding Fx, or for providing monitoring to the players...)

Sorry if this confuses things; there are probably more Important Points I've overlooked. Hope this helps. B|

Does it need to be a mixer or just an interface?

If you need a mixer I'd look at the Behringer XR-18 or X32 Rack. These will both output to a DAW over USB. The other XR series units only output a stereo mix to USB so won't do what you want. Anything in the X32 series will output full multitrack.