Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass needs TLC - Help to identify

jimbomcmucka

Hi guys 

I'm looking for a little help. I have acquired a bass and she has been mistreated. The previous owner has lovingly repainted her with what looks like Blue fence paint, without even removing the scratch plate or control plate. So my plan is to rub her down and respray properly and generally bring her back to life. 

Now, the interesting part. It is a MIM Jazz neck from 06/07 (discovered using the serial number) - but the body has holes for an 'ash tray' bridge cover. Looking at images online - i cant seem to find any MIM Jazzers that come with the bridge cover, so this makes me question whether somebody has cobbled it together from parts, removed the original bridge cover or added one on at some point. It has Bass Lines pickups (which I believe were a sub brand of Seymour Duncan?), these could be original or aftermarket..

So my question is, does anybody know of a MIM Jazz that would have come with the bridge cover (or at least holes for one) from around 06/07? - or am I looking at a non fender body with a MIM neck bolted on?

Thanks in advance, the bass hasn't landed yet, but I will follow up with some pics once she does..

Cheers

J

You can buy the ashtrays almost anywhere, so you can guess that, here, it was mounted afterwards.

Bass Lines are Seymour Duncan name for their bass pickups since so long I can't remember when they switched to that name, but 90's IIRC.

You might find if the fence paint's just been slapped on over the original finish, it will probably come off with a bit of solvent & elbow grease. I've had a few badly refinished basses & guitars where the original poly lacquer & finish was intact under the paint.