gregouille23

TRADED - ACG Finn 5 fretless with amazing birdseye fingerboard
£1895
Belgium

Posted (edited)

TRADED

Hello,

I am considering parting ways with this stunning piece of art created by AC Guitars. I recently acquired it from @Bass Wielder (thanks again Michael!). I love everything about this bass: it looks and sounds amazing (those humbuckers... yummy), I had never played an instrument so resonant before, it just sings. So why consider selling it? Well I already have a fretless 4 and I realized that I would rather have a fretted 6er than a fretless 5. The fretless 4 is sufficient for my needs and I am quite interested in exploring the (hopefully) wonderful world of 6 string bass. This is why I would not only consider but possibly prefer a trade against a good 6er. I don't mind adding/receiving a small part in cash to compensate any difference in value between this gorgeous ACG and your lovely fretted 6 😉

Ideally I would prefer 6er with narrower string spacing (< 19 mm, 17.5 or below being my preference) and a reasonable weight (4.5 kg/10 lbs or below).

The ACG weighs about 4.5 kg according to my bathroom scale and comes in the Hiscox case you can see on the picture. The bass is in excellent state, no specific dings or scratches as far as I can see. I was built around 2014 if I remember correctly. Here are the specs straight from the ACG website ( http://www.acguitars.co.uk/project/0172-finn-r-type-fretless-5/ )

• Scale: 35''
  • Top and Back Wood: Flame Redwood
  • Body Wood: Black Limba
  • Accent Veneer: Black
  • Body Finish: Satin Lacquer
  • Neck Wood: 5 piece Mac Ebony/Ash/Wenge
  • Fingerboard: Acrylic Impregnate Birdseye Maple, 26 fret partial fretlines
  • Neck Finish: Satin Lacquer
  • Pickups: 2 x ACG FB humbuckers
  • Hardware details: Hipshot Type A bridge, Gotoh GB 350 Resolite tuners, Dunlop Straplocks, DR Sunbeam strings, Luminlay side dots
  • Pre-amp: ACG DFM 5K/AP

Below is also the original posting from @Bass Wielder

I live in Belgium, near Antwerp.

Edited by gregouille23
Bass is traded

That is a very splendid bass indeed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ead said:

That is a very splendid bass indeed.

Thanks mate, it really is an amazing instrument 😉

Posted (edited)

I've a few ACGs including two fretless basses but all 4-string as I have a severe talent deficit at the best of times and, having tried a few times, 5ers are a no-go area for me now.

Edited by ead
  • Haha 2

😂

I fortunately decided a long time ago that the quality of the basses I own did not have to be proportionnal to my musical talent...😅

This ACG Finn is actually tuned EADGC and I have to say that I find it much easier to switch to than a 5er tuned BEADG.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By cascanicoff
      I recently aquired a bass through a trade. It is a very lovely bass, but regretably it has to go, I still have too many of them. So here you are: JCR Jazzbass 5, 24 frets, all at your disposal.
      JCR (Jaume Catalá Redondo) is a Spanish luthier that is beginning to get his well deserved recognition among the best in the continent. You have already seen in Basschat a number of his gorgeous products, and they are very fantastic. Many of his basses have an obvious source of inspiration in Fodera, but this bass is diferent. We are talking of a jazzbass design with 24 frets. It reminds me a lot of such models as the Mayones Hadrien Feraud bass. I hope the colleague Mustafunk does not mind if I take his previous ad for this very bass, so that you can find all the details and some soundclips/videos (definitely much better than anything I could record myself 😔).
      The price of this bass is 1400 euro. In that sense, the 1300 pound tag established in the ad is a maximum in case the pound rate goes down, but right now 1255 pounds will do the deal. The bass is in Bilbao - Spain, in very good condition except for some mini-scratches on the horns that barely appear in the pics. I would ship it in a hardcase, also in excellent condition.
      And talking about pics, here they go:

More pics in this link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZfScK2z69usT4t6j6
      Specs are as follows:
      TOP: Maple Flamed
      BODY: American Alder
      NECK: Hard Maple
      Tension rod double action
      PREAM: Preamp Glockenklang 3 b (active pasive tone)
      PICKUPS: Delano MC 5 FE 1700 EB (quad coil) serie - single - paralell swich neck JMVC 5 FE
      TUNERS: Hipshot
      BRIDGE: ETS 18 space strings
      Weight : 3.9kg
      Scale 34
      24 steel frets
      Best, Gorka
    • By Chris2112
      Evening all,

I had just wanted to write a quick piece on a new acquisition of mine, something that may be of interest to some of you because there isn't really a great deal about Manne basses on the internet, especially these older models. There is so little, in fact, that I don't even know what this model was called when it was first made, though I will probably write to the company to find out more about it.

In any event, Manne are still around today and probably doing a better trade now than they ever have done. They remain very popular in their native Italy and have a very strong following there. Notably, the virtuoso Dominic Di Piazza used to play one of these. They've been in production since the late 80's with the original luthier still in charge today.

I spotted this one for sale on Reverb at about 3AM on a night shift a couple of weeks ago and made contact with the owner, a nice Italian guy who was selling the instrument after owning it for 30 years! Yes, I was dealing with the original owner who remarked that it had cost him a 'fortune' when new and it had obviously been well looked after. After a few days of exchanging messages to work out the logistics of a sale, a deal was made and the bass was promptly shipped from Italy, flying out from Milan and making it's way to me in Northumberland, England.

I've liked the look of Manne basses for years but I've never seen one in person, never mind held one. However, I am fairly adaptable and must say it is very comfortable to play. The body and neck are maple, with some sort of burled wood veneer on the headstock. The fretboard is unlined ebony with dot markers in line with where the fret would be. It's a substantial instrument, I have not weighed it but it feels about on par with an old maple Yamaha TRB. The neck is very fast and quite thick front-to-back. In comparison to my Pedulla Pentabuzz, which has a very flat neck which is thin front-to-back, the Manne is considerably heftier but no less comfortable for it.

The electronics have been replaced with an EMG setup with active/passing switching. So far, I just run it flat choosing active or passive as I fancy it. The output must be buffered because there is no drop off in output between the two, though the tone in noticeably altered. I haven't yet restrung it with new strings, but I can say that present it has an insane amount of grunt and 'mwah'. The sound is full of body, rich and with a very tactile attack. It really responds to plucking hand placement and technique. The setup gives such low, clean action that makes notes 'bloom' and sustain for ages, just the ticket for carefully considered glissando and sliding a few cents up or down into a note.

One thing that tech-heads will note is the tuning system, which is one of the smartest I have seen. The headstock has string-posts that the end of of the string is wound through. The post is controlled by a very small, smoothly geared knob mounted on the back of the headstock. The strings are threaded through the post and locked in at the headstock and then tuned from the bridge. Again, the tuning action is so smooth and accurate. I find this unique system to be rerally smartly made and it works perfectly. It seems that this tuning system faded out in the early 90's, I will try and find out why that was. I expect it was pretty expensive to make compared to off the shelf parts.

In any event, this bass is a real find for me. I must thank the original owner for keeping it in such good condition. I am now going to woodshed some UZEB and Alain Caron material...

• By Baloney Balderdash
      So it seems like there are not a lot of short scale fretless basses around, but if I can find a decent one within my budget limit I sort of ponder on buying one in the near future.
      I'll like it to be max 30" scale length, preferably be a 4 string, and my budget limit would be about 400£, but I'd prefer cheaper, as long as it is still decent (I would suspect a pickup upgrade down the line being necessary anyway in this kind of price class).
      Does such a bass exist?
      All suggestions are welcome.
    • By skb558
      For Sale £1950 shipped
      Lovely Roscoe Century 4 Fretless purchased less than 6 months ago from Bass Direct. Comes with soft case and letter of authenticity.
      Only room for one fretless in the house when two cash sponges have returned home from college without jobs. 
      Three piece Spanish Cedar Body
      Flamed Maple top
      Finish - Amberburst satin
      Three piece Maple neck with contrasting stringers
      Fingerboard - Lined Black Diamondwood (resin, pressure impregnated wood)
      Graphtech nut
      34" Scale
      Bartolini 3-band pre amp with volume, pan, treble/bass stack, mid/mid freq select push/pull (250/800hz)
      Bartolini JJ Pickup in the JB position
      Black ultralight Gotoh tuners
      Black Hipshot B style bridge in Aluminium
      Strings: D'Addario EXL Nickel 45 - 105
      TKL Pro Case (soft)
      Weight: 3.7kg/8lb 1oz

• By roceci
      Fantastic unique Squier VM fretless jazz with upgrades. Refinished in Graffiti Yellow, fitted with replica tort plate and genuine Fender bridge and pickup covers. Body in mint condition apart from a few minor surafce marks to bottom and side edges and one small ding on the rear top contour as shown, otherwise like new. Replaced stock neck with Mexican Fender pau ferro, mint condition and lemon oiled for a lovely finish. Previously fitted with an active preamp and still has side mounted jack if wanted to upgrade. Strung with Picato flats, nice and worn in.
      Prefer local collection (somehow) as out of boxes to send (at buyer's cost). Cheers!