Ken Smith Elite 20th Anniversary Flamed Redwood Top 6 string  (1 of 11 made)

Best Ken Smith out of the 10 or so I've owned for a very rare (very few have ever come out for sale) bass.

Not looking for trades - selling as bringing down my collection and mainly play jazz style basses these days.

Lots of feedback in the forum

Specs:

Flamed Redwood Top with Matching Headstock.

Body Core and Heel Blocks are made of Tiger Maple. The Laminate between the Redwood and the Tiger Maple is Black Walnut, and the Body Features are Tropical Walnut.

The Neck is made of Hard Rock Maple with African Bubinga features and heel laminate.

The Fingerboard is Macassar Ebony and has Mother of Pearl Top and Side Dots.

Pickups and Electronics are the same as the BSR "EG" and includes Series/Parallel Switches.

The bass has a 20th Anniversary Backplate and Truss Rod Cover.

These were $6,000 when made new in 1999/2000.

Bass has cosmetic wear / bumps from the previous owner (I am the second owner and have owned it for the past 15 years), which is reflected in the price, but functionally it works perfectly and the frets are almost as new and plays with an incredibly low action with no buzz.

34" scale.  18mm string spacing

4.6kg / 10.1lb

Ken Smith in his quest for the best tone woods found only a limited amount of this rare, old, seasoned, air dried, Figured Redwood. Because of the limited amount, only 11 of the KSA 6 flamed redwood basses were made.

20200717_133026.jpg

20200717_133053.jpg

20200717_133103.jpg

20200717_133111.jpg

20200717_133121.jpg

20200717_133203.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 4.15.06 PM.png

Edited by Arnoldoc
  • Like 7

These 20th Anniversary Smiths are fantastic and ... lightweight ! 4.6 kg is on the lower end of Smith 6ers ...

Free bump from me. If I would not already own a Birdseye Redwood 6 from the 20th Anniversary series - I would buy this one in a heartbeat.... Unfortunately my collection should definitely not grow anymore ...

GLWTS !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbassman_de said:

These 20th Anniversary Smiths are fantastic and ... lightweight ! 4.6 kg is on the lower end of Smith 6ers ...

Free bump from me. If I would not already own a Birdseye Redwood 6 from the 20th Anniversary series - I would buy this one in a heartbeat.... Unfortunately my collection should definitely not grow anymore ...

GLWTS !

Thank you, your gear for sale is always fantastic.

HI,

is the preamp on 9 or 18 volt ?

Is the original case included ? What is his state ?

Thanks you.

The serial numbers on the 20th Anniversary models were notated with a period, followed by two numbers. Can you tell me the last two numbers on this bass? Is it still for sale?

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Sibob
      Hi all,
      Back up for cash sale, only trade options would be an Elrick standard Jazz 5 (not sunburst).
      I love this Evolution, sounds awesome, light swamp ash body and looks great. It's a solid 9/10 for condition I'd say. A couple of small indentations, but nothing I'm able to photograph well. Stock, these basses come with Bartolini single-coils, however I've swapped those out for Bartolini dual coils that came direct from Rob Elrick.
      So spec is:
      35″ scale
      Swamp Ash Body
      8.5 Lbs (approx)
      Satin Matte Black Finish
      3-piece Quarter-Sawn Maple Neck
      Ebony Fretboard
      24 frets
      2-way adjustable truss rod
      Bartolini hum cancelling Dual-coil soapbar pickups (Made in the USA)
      Bartolini 3-band pre-amp w/3-way mid and active bypass (Made in the USA)
      Fully shielded control cavity
      Black Hipshot Ultra-light tuners
      Black Elrick bridge – by Hipshot (Made in the USA)
      Dunlop Dual Design strap buttons (Straplok compatible!) (Made in the USA)

£1550 - I'll include a Fusion Urban gig bag in excellent condition!
      £1500 - No Case
      Shipping would be difficult just at the moment, but we can talk about it as an extra cost, but happy to organise a socially distanced handover as a preference.
      UK only for now.

Cheers
      Si
    • By d_g
      Weekend pricedrop to £1600
      See last post below for a new video demo!
      Tentatively putting my Overwater up for sale on here. I'm in no rush to sell it but open to offers and trades (possibly with cash my way) for lightweight, 34" scale, 5 string jazzes - Fender, Sadowsky etc.
      Anyone who's played one of these knows the kind of quality you can expect from this. It was built for me in 2017 by Chris and the team and would cost around £3500 to have made now I believe. I originally ordered it with an East J Retro which I have since changed for a J Tone giving it a more vintage sound and the versatility of a passive tone control. It will also come with the extra capacitors which are easy to switch out to adjust the roll off of the tone control. I also swapped the pickups from Overwater Ceramic to OWs new Alnico ones. I will include both sets of pickups for the buyer. 
      Spec is below, let me know if you have any questions, it's in very nearly perfect condition, a few marks on the headstock and a couple of tiny dinks on the top of the neck are pictured below. You are welcome to try in Chessington, KT9. I will also consider posting fully insured.
      - Maple 21 fret bolt on neck
      - Nut 46mm
      -19mm string spacing
      -MOP block inlays
      -3mm side dots (1mm bigger than standard for extra visibility)
      -Alder body
      -J Tone Preamp
      -OW Noiseless Alnico Pickups (Ceramics for more HiFi sound also included)
      -Hipshot Ultralight Tuners
      -Custom Seafoam Green Finish
      -35" scale
      Many thanks
      Dan

The tiny black mark in the picture below was just rubber and has now been cleaned off. 

• By Martyin3d
      Could really do with moving this on hence a PRICE DROP to £700

Bought this from new in June last year. It looks and sounds great and has tonnes of versatility. Unfortunately though my hands are just too small for the 35" scale and it's not getting the love it deserves. The finish really is quite impressive in the flesh and it's been incredibly well cared for. 

Specs (from https://www.yamahamusiclondon.com/TRB-1006J-6-String-Bass-Guitar-Natural/pidGTRB1006JNT)
      General Construction: Bolt-on Scale Length: 35" (889.0mm) Body Finish: Gloss Polyurethane Neck Materials: Maple / Mahogany (or Nato) 5-Piece Neck Finish: Satin Polyurethane Fingerboard Materials: Rosewood Fingerboard Radius: 40" (1000 mm) Fret wire: Medium Number of frets: 24 Nut materials: Bone Width @ 0 Fret / 12th Fret: 50.0 / 73.6 mm Thickness @ 1st Fret / 12th Fret: 20.0 / 24.0 mm Neck Pickup: Humcanceled Single Coil / Alnico V Middle Pickup: - Bridge Pickup: Humcanceled Single Coil / Alnico V Controls: Master Volume, Pickup Balancer, 3-Band EQ(Bass, Middle, Treble) Pickup Switch:  - Bridge: Solid Brass String spacing: 17mm Tailpiece: - Tuning Machines: Die-cast Pickguard: - String gauge: D'Addario EXL170-6SL /0.032-0.130 Super Long (6 strings) Case/Bag: not included  
      Based in Bristol, cash on collection would be preferred but I would be open to considering shipping. Any questions please do ask! 

• By Kizzie25
      Fender Jazz bass, Mexican 2016, 4 string. Maple neck with black block inlays and black bindings along fretboard. Natural finish. Great bass, sad to sell it but I'm married to my others and I'd prefer it was being played. Comes with hard case. First time seller on here so don't hesitate to let me know if you need some more info! 

• By silentbob
      Picked this up a couple of months back to have another try with five strings. Not sure what I was thinking because I struggle with four so in light of some recent purchases I  think I will move this on.
      The Good Points
      It's a good, solid 5 string bass which punches above it's weight. Body is Bubinga wood, fingerboard is Rosewood. The neck is super flat and really nice to play. Hardware and pickups are by Wilkinson. The four pots are Volume, Tone, Bass, and Pickup Blend.
      The Bad Points
      It has a few marks and dings (the previous owner toured Europe with it) but nothing major, just general, light, wear and tear.
      When I picked it up, it had a really low output, and the pickup blend pot was crackly when adjusted. On inspection, the battery had leaked and corroded the battery clip, so I replaced that and stuck in a new 9v which sorted the output issue. I haven't gotten around to fixing the pot yet. It may just need a squirt of cleaner, or it may need a replacement soldering in, both of which should be pretty simple and are reflected in the price.
      Price is £125. This does not include shipping but does include a crap Fender gig bag to carry it home in. Shipping could possibly be arranged. I have a box, and can upgrade to a better more padded gigbag, but this will push the price to £160.
      I would also consider a trade for a high end (Mono, Sadowsky) gig bag with money either way.
      Socially distanced collection or viewing is welcome, as is PayPal if fees are covered.
      Any questions, please ask.