Why become a member? ×

Opinion Needed

Emmol

Hi guys, I need your support.

I play bass at home, just for fun, doing some recording through my sound unit. No gigs at all for now.

So, I practise connecting my bass to a mixer that exit to a speaker.

Now, my doubt at this point is , " Buying or not a bass head? "and connect this to a channel of my mixer and then to the speaker? Or directly to the speaker through the DI exit of the Head ? The audio unit it would be a TC Electronic BQ 250.

The question is: would my sound be better? Actually, I do not have complain at moment,my sound looks decent to me. My mixer has 1 channel for instruments ( guitar or bass). Please let me know your opinion. Tahnk you in advance.

Mixer Macke Pro 12fx

Bass Fender Jazz American Standard 2000

Speaker the Box from Thomann brend.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Emmol

You will need an active speaker if you wish to drive it with your Mackie. A mixing desk won't drive a passive one. If it's only for home practice/recording, I'd use headphones. Something with a decent bass response like Beyer DT770s would be a lot better than a cheap active cab. Little point in buying a bass head if you don't intend to use it for any other purpose. If you are practicing to tracks, you can route them and your bass through the mixer, set the balance to suit you and do it whenever you wish without the risk of disturbing neighbours or family members.

There are various "the box" brand speakers, passive and active; I guess you've got one of the active ones.

If you're already happy, then no you don't need to buy anything else.  I do all my recording and live gigs without a bass head.  I have a pre-amp pedal with basic EQ (which you have the equivalent in your Mackie).  I don't really use much adjustment though since I enjoy the sound of my bass already "as is".  Then from there straight into a powered speaker (not a "the box", but a different brand - but the concept is the same).   I used to have a bass head but I prefer my current system without one.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dan Dare said:

You will need an active speaker if you wish to drive it with your Mackie. A mixing desk won't drive a passive one. If it's only for home practice/recording, I'd use headphones. Something with a decent bass response like Beyer DT770s would be a lot better than a cheap active cab. Little point in buying a bass head if you don't intend to use it for any other purpose. If you are practicing to tracks, you can route them and your bass through the mixer, set the balance to suit you and do it whenever you wish without the risk of disturbing neighbours or family members.

Thanks.

My speaker is active: the box MA8/2 CL

• Power: 70 W
  • Equipped with: 8" speaker and tweeter
  • Frequency range: 80 Hz - 20 kHz

I got some Byer Dynamics, and I got a VOX small amp ( the ones that go directly to the jack entrance) Iwanted to save my ears, this the only reason :)

Edited by Emmol

4 minutes ago, jrixn1 said:

There are various "the box" brand speakers, passive and active; I guess you've got one of the active ones.

If you're already happy, then no you don't need to buy anything else.  I do all my recording and live gigs without a bass head.  I have a pre-amp pedal with basic EQ (which you have the equivalent in your Mackie).  I don't really use much adjustment though since I enjoy the sound of my bass already "as is".  Then from there straight into a powered speaker (not a "the box", but a different brand - but the concept is the same).   I used to have a bass head but I prefer my current system without one.

Thank you, you got excactly the point.

I do not have a lot of experience with bass and ampli. I am a professional pianist but I like to explore other music and sounds with the bass. and I am really happy with the sound coming from " Thomann The Box" and my Mackie. And when I change genre, let s say slap, I change the EQ and I am pretty happy with it. So, techically, no problem. I was wondering if with a head I may improve the quality of the sound.

so, you may invest more in a better speaker then?

• 2 weeks later...