Why become a member? ×

NBD: Spector Legend 4 standard (i think)

la bam

Morning all,

Had a sudden rush of Spector lust the last few days (I blame Guys videos) and managed to find a decent second hand bargain close by, to try the brand out.

It's a blue legend 4, but it's a Korean made one, with the older bridge and pj pick ups with covers on. I've looked and cant quite date it. The current ones are made in Indonesia and have been for a long time I think.

Anywho, it's in fantastic condition. Almost untouched.

It's the kind of darker blue green quilted finish which looks really nice close up, though I'd imagine more of a black from a distance.

Plugging in and bareing in mind it's got old strings on, it plays really easy and has a nice sound. Every note is there in easy reach. There is a whole host of sounds available and the cut and boost of the active circuit are really effective. The first 2 pots seem to be volume for the p and the j pick up so each can be used individually. 

Balance wise it has the original owners cheap strap on, but still balances well although I will change that to my normal thick suede ones. The body is very comfortable, slim and almost unnoticeable when playing, yet just the right weight so it doesnt slip into feeling cheap.

I've spent a good hour playing this morning and it has a really nice rich but solid sound to each individual note, so much so it makes you kind of automatically play quite funky lines instead of running rock style lines. The bass would be great in a funk, disco or pop scenario straight away. The lighter strings are very defined and really cut through in a nice way and are easily heard. I would definitely take this to any modern, funky or disco style bands over the precision.

What it has made me eventually realise is it's a good idea to try different basses for different music where possible. I've always only ever had one bass and a back up, and played everything on that one bass no matter what it was at the time. Now I can see that some basses excel at certain styles and some dont. So I'm happy to finally see that.

As for Spector - I'm very impressed. It's completely different from any other bass I have, but in a familiar way. If this is one of the cheaper models, the higher priced top level ones must be amazing!

20200607_112240.jpg

20200607_112236.jpg

• Like 2