Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Reface DX anyone?

dave_bass5

Well, it is never going to be as good as the MODX, it is not as good as my roland DS, but when I am doing a gig it is the right size and it is good at practices. With the space the big synths are going to win.

I still wish there was an 'all of the above', like a reface that had all the other refaces, but was the same size :D

44 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, it is never going to be as good as the MODX, it is not as good as my roland DS, but when I am doing a gig it is the right size and it is good at practices. With the space the big synths are going to win.

I still wish there was an 'all of the above', like a reface that had all the other refaces, but was the same size :D

The point is i just need a basic clean sound, like a good piano for working lines and chords out at home, and I’d like a good organ sound as i want to learn how to play all that cool mad Hammond stuff. Ive found ‘ok’ versions of both in the DX, but i find having a ‘great’ version of the sound really helps.

I dont plan to gig my DX, mu MODX can do it all and more, but i would  gig a CS or YP. The YP most definitely. I just won udon the use it at home for working most songs out.

Yep, a 4 in one would be fantastic. 

YP? You mean the YC or am I missing one? I would love the YC. I have one, but its broken, beyond fixing broken sadly. The CP sounds great but you know, piano, electric piano, thanks I am done for piano sounds. having a CP preset on one of the others would work.

I dont have space for main keys, or I would gig the roland (or get a Roland VR09), so something small would do. Problem is with the refaces, they are all nearly perfect if they had a crossover with the others.

There is alwyas the little ones they do I guess, the toy keyboards.

Sorry, yes, YC. I love this tits read as well. Looks like a Nord lol. 

If i had that i might trigger it with a split keyboard on the MODX. I don’t think is be up to playing all the John Lord stuff on that little keyboard 😳

if I’m going to play keys, which is the plan in the near future it wont be as well as bass, so ill have room to take the MODX and Korg N5.  Quite looking forward to that day. 

Ive actual just sat down and tinkered with the DX and got a slightly better piano sound so I think ill keep it for a while. It does seem to be an amazing bit of kit, considering its current price. 

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Sorry, yes, YC. I love this tits read as well.

umm..

3 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

If i had that i might trigger it with a split keyboard on the MODX. I don’t think is be up to playing all the John Lord stuff on that little keyboard 😳

no? :D

Well, he is enjoying it and I think we can say that that is the most important thing :D

19 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Jeez, my typing is bloody awful when ive been out walking in the rain and the screen is still wet lol. 

He made me smile, and that’s what music is all about lol. 

Indeed. He might not be great but I was happier after seeing the video than before, so that is good enough for me :D

52 minutes ago, owen said:

I bought a CP. It was lush. But I just could not justify it so it has gone back. It was lush though. 

I had thought about sending the DX back, but its going to be useful when i dont want to sit at the deck and play the MODX (like this afternoon). Also it works well with Cubasis on my ipad, which makes for a very portable, only one wire needed recording set up. 

• 2 months later...

I sent my CP back. I am going to buy another. For the moments I want that sound it is just there and I do not find myself scrolling through 56 different options in a plug in. I have friends who can make every one of those plugins sound great. I cannot. I accidently bought a DX on Ebay by bidding without reading the ad properly. The seller was very gracious and cancelled the winning bid. I must learn to focus. There is a secret proper piano sample on the CP (as WIB told uou while I was typing).

Edited by owen

Yeah, ive seen the Acoustic piano hack. Apparently it’s slightly lower quality compared to the others, but very useful. 

Even just a CP Piano is fine. Ive found i just sit with the Reface and work out songs etc. And a piano seems to be the cleanest tone to use. The DX piano is ok i guess, does the job, but sounds a bit too artificial 

Even worth the MODX i tend to chop and change piano sounds. Too much choice sometimes, so the CP will be ideal. Ill never use it live. 

Edited by dave_bass5
Typo