Why become a member? ×

Varnish finish

brummie

Hi everyone,
I have an Alder jazz body with poor paintwork, I'd like to strip it and varnish it like this

[attachment=21763:jazz.png]

I've read up the finishing process but need sme advise about the application. Do I use a clear varnish or is it some sort of laquer.
Any tips but no sarcasm please.
Cheers

Do you definitely want a "varnish" finish rather than an "oiled" finish ?

It's just that a good varnish finish can be difficult to achieve in a domestic environment (it's usually too dusty or the temperature is not ideal). Whereas an oiled finish is much easier.

[quote name='BOD2' post='430623' date='Mar 10 2009, 03:51 PM']Do you definitely want a "varnish" finish rather than an "oiled" finish ?

It's just that a good varnish finish can be difficult to achieve in a domestic environment (it's usually too dusty or the temperature is not ideal). Whereas an oiled finish is much easier.[/quote]

Good point, I'm flying blind here but have really been taken by the finish on the Jazz pictured.
What I don't want to do is attempt something that could be a nightmare to restore, I've presume oil seeps into the wood - that would make it pretty much the done deal no matter how bad it was.
If the finish pictured is a varnish - would it be appropriate to get a furniter restorer to attempt it?

Yes, the oil does seep into the wood, but I don't believe it gets that deep. You'd probably be able to sand out an oiled finish at a later date, if necessary - the oil does naturally dry out and needs to be reapplied occasionally to keep it fresh.

There's also a "waxed" finish like Warwick use. Again, since it's applied with a cloth it's much, much easier to get a smooth even finish.

I don't know that furniture restorer's use the sorts of finishes applied to guitars. I might be wrong but they're more likely to be expert in "French Polishing" and that sort of thing. Guitar hard finished are usually sprayed on. If you were wanting a solid painted finish the usual advice is to ask at a car body shop, since that's the same type of finish applied to cars. Clear lacquer is also applied on top of some car finishes so maybe a car repair shop might be able to do a clear finish too ?

But note BigRedX's comment about the wood underneath.

I did it to an Ibanez RG470 as the "purple sparkle" was particularly hideous, but rather than varnished I used a coloured beeswax and it turned out great. Tried the same thing on an Aria STB and it looked like a jigsaw puzzle, although I was impressed that using so many parts in a body still constituted it being "solid"!

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='430769' date='Mar 10 2009, 05:40 PM']You want a sprayed on polyester finish that can be polished properly on a wheel. Everything else will look pants in comparison. Not putting a downer on it... it's the truth.[/quote]

Is that a polyester varnish? if so you make it sound possible (the glass is half full) not a downer if it is possible, could I get a finish as smooth as your avatar's backside?

You could get it smoother than that backside. The key to a good poly finish is a good compressor and gun, a mask, extractor, good pre sanding skills, post sanding skills... And care and patience whilst polishing. If this is for you, then go for it. A pro polish job would cost you around £100.