Why become a member? ×

Squier VM Jaguar V Bass Price

6feet7

I've been offered a Squier Vintage Modified 5 string Jaguar bass for £400. Part of me thinks this is a little overpriced but the other GAS part of me doesn't. Is this a reasonable price for this bass? HELP

Edited by 6feet7

I had one of these ( an Indonesian) a few years ago and it cost me £230 from G4music new. Unfortunately it had a rattly truss rod and I sent it back for repairs , on the understanding it must not go back to Fender, (as I knew they would right it off) and I reckoned I could tame the truss rod with some silicon down the channel. G4M by then had given me another £50 off too. Anyway it went back to Fender who wrote it off... I played hell with G4M and they agreed to pay for a replacement but there were only a few about then as it had a rosewood board and they were no longer produced.

There was one in the USA but CITIES put paid to that but I got a slightly damaged one from Zsounds in Germany that  they were selling as 'new' and cost about £200 after I negotiated a discount too!.

This is a longwinded way of saying I then sold it at a SW Bass Bash for around £175-200 s/h so £400 seems a bit rich

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

The 'Argus' prices seem to be around half of that. The price, new, in the US, was, I believe, $399. Still, it's worth what you think it's worth, really. Are you any good at haggling..? ;)

It's on ebay at £495, but it's had a Fender decal put on instead of Squier and a Fender neck plate, which, even though the guy isn't passing it off as a Fender - he's totally upfront and saying it's a Squier - he thinks that this should put the price up. I've told him that anything that isn't original detracts from asking full price but he seems to think it's worth it. I'd love it but I told him I thought it was worth about £300 - £350 max so he's given me an offer of £400. I just wanted to see if I wasn't the only one thinking that the price was a bit high. 

Many thanks for all your help. That's saved me a few quid that I can spend elsewhere instead :)