Why become a member? ×

Any tips on getting a good sound on a live video?

Andyalfa

We’re in the studio this weekend for a demo CD, but I think we could do with some live footage of us on our website as well. We have a friend with a decent camera, but my worries are to do with the sound. Using the built in mic on the camera means the sound is horribly distorted, out of balance and generally awful, quality wise. What’s the best way of improving this? Should we try for a pair of standalone external mics, or try and take the sound off the PA desk? The trouble with the latter is that normally, in a live situation, only the keys and vox go through the desk.

Use your demo CD and sync it up to loads of different clips from the video camera. It's a music video!!

But yeh, the only real way of getting a good sound is to take feeds from the desk as well as at least a stereo pair of mics in the room. You can get fairly decent results with just a stereo mic or pair of mics in the room, but it's not going to be much better than the best built-in microphones on video-cameras IMHO.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='The Funk' post='429703' date='Mar 9 2009, 07:31 PM']I'm doing this on Thursday evening: mixer -> stereo mic input on camera. No mixing / syncing required later.[/quote]

It might be worth putting a mic at the back of the room and feeding that to the tape outputs but not the PA.

Try two PZMz stuck to the walles on the sides of the room. ITs not studio quality but it has always worked for me.

[url="http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/microphones/pzm.html"]http://www.mediacollege.com/audio/microphones/pzm.html[/url]

[quote name='cheddatom' post='430197' date='Mar 10 2009, 10:34 AM']It might be worth putting a mic at the back of the room and feeding that to the tape outputs but not the PA.[/quote]

Might have spare condensor depending on who turns up so would do that. Not feeding a PA though - recording my drummer's jazz trio!

If you are serious do it right, many companies - such as my own [url="http://www.c-p-productions.com"]www.c-p-productions.com[/url] in Edinburgh - offer live recording for very good rates and at a very high audio fidelity.

Check out some of my stuff on there. Most of that was done for between £100-£300. Whilst I am too far from you to be a choice, I am sure there are people near you who can offer the goods.

Its promotional. It may get you that gig and, in turn, pay for itself instantly.

G

Edited by slaphappygarry