Why become a member? ×

Aria SB-40/5 FL L/H

Lew-Bass

I'm trying to find a 5 string lefthanded fretless and finding it pretty difficult, I've found this one on ebay:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aria-SB40-5FL-LEFT-HAND-Fretless-5-String-Bass-Black_W0QQitemZ390034999840QQihZ026QQcategoryZ4713QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Aria-SB40-5FL-LEFT-H...1742.m153.l1262[/url]

Has anyone played one of these before? What do you think of the spec? Seeming though my budget is £300, I could put a decent pair of pickups into instead of the stock ones.

I've never played the particular bass in question - but I can tell you that in my experience ( I have a bass, acoustic bass & a guitar) modern Arias are very nice quality for budget/low midrange stuff. Do be prepared to do a bit of tweaking & setting-up though, factory setup's always a letdown.

It would be best to try & find one in a shop so you can make a proper assessment though.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='428555' date='Mar 8 2009, 01:21 PM']I've never played the particular bass in question - but I can tell you that in my experience ( I have a bass, acoustic bass & a guitar) modern Arias are very nice quality for budget/low midrange stuff. Do be prepared to do a bit of tweaking & setting-up though, factory setup's always a letdown.

It would be best to try & find one in a shop so you can make a proper assessment though.

Jon.[/quote]

Thankyou, I think I'm gonna go for it, I plan on customising it anyway (mainly aesthetics; gold bridge, tuners and nobs but possibly pickups if the stocks aren't upto much).

By set up do you mean the action?

Axes R Us are very good, free post & quick delivery Alternatively CH Guitars on Ebay are worth a look.

By setup I mean action, neck relief, intonation, neck angle & all that stuff. :)

Don't know what sort of bridge you're after but I have a chunky cast 5er bridge just sitting around gathering dust. Genuine reason for sale (as they say!) - this came off a through-neck Peavey which I'm de-fretting, it will be no use when the frets are off because it simply won't adjust low enough because of its fat saddles & thick base plate. This wouldn't be a problem with a bolt-neck bass like the Aria, but obviously on the Peavey I can't change the neck angle by shimming to compensate for the saddle height.

I've bought a low profile Schaller 3D to replace it with, so if you're interested in the old one, which is in as-new condition, let me know & I'll post some pics up.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='429405' date='Mar 9 2009, 02:34 PM']Axes R Us are very good, free post & quick delivery Alternatively CH Guitars on Ebay are worth a look.

By setup I mean action, neck relief, intonation, neck angle & all that stuff. :)

Don't know what sort of bridge you're after but I have a chunky cast 5er bridge just sitting around gathering dust. Genuine reason for sale (as they say!) - this came off a through-neck Peavey which I'm de-fretting, it will be no use when the frets are off because it simply won't adjust low enough because of its fat saddles & thick base plate. This wouldn't be a problem with a bolt-neck bass like the Aria, but obviously on the Peavey I can't change the neck angle by shimming to compensate for the saddle height.

I've bought a low profile Schaller 3D to replace it with, so if you're interested in the old one, which is in as-new condition, let me know & I'll post some pics up.

Jon.[/quote]

I like the look of the thomann single riders, the idea of the strings looking seperate seems so sexy! haha

I intend to gradually kinda turn all the metal work into gold, like gold machine heads, bridge, strap pins even the control knobs and p'ups, I reckon it'd be good. The hard part will be getting the same shade :rolleyes:

[quote name='Lew-Bass' post='428561' date='Mar 8 2009, 01:28 PM']I plan on customising it anyway (mainly aesthetics; gold bridge, tuners and nobs but possibly pickups if the stocks aren't upto much).[/quote]

Aria have worked closely with DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan over the years, and these partnerships mean that Aria pickups tend to be of an acceptable quality.

[quote name='Lew-Bass' post='429511' date='Mar 9 2009, 04:25 PM']I intend to gradually kinda turn all the metal work into gold, like gold machine heads, bridge, strap pins even the control knobs and p'ups, I reckon it'd be good.[/quote]

So good that Aria regularly issued Black and Gold versions of its instruments, as limited editions. Take a look at [url="http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fyfeholt/aria.htm"]http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fyfeholt/aria.htm[/url] and you'll find some examples.

Thanks alot for the info Noel, and the link
After that link, I'm not sure this is an actual aria :S, maybe it's just me being paranoid but you can find next to no information on the net and this seems the only place that sells it in the UK, they all seem like Australian sites

If anyone could help please do

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='431837' date='Mar 11 2009, 07:47 PM'][url="http://www.ariaguitars.com/int/03_products/pro_eb_sb_40.html"]http://www.ariaguitars.com/int/03_products/pro_eb_sb_40.html[/url]

I thang yow. :)[/quote]

Thanks alottt mate! Are they common over here then, doesn't seem it?