Why become a member? ×

Logic Pro 7 (mac users only lol)

Adam

I have logic express for my ibook G4, love it, I think logic is ace, been using it through college and that, at uni though they use sonar whihc IMO is ok, but not a patch on logic, i think logic is personally easier to use IMO.

Anyway, I am pursuing a new imac, and I want to get logic pro 7, it is really expensive and everyone has been goin on about yes this is the program for you if you like logic express you will finally hit warp fact 9 with this.

thing is I also been looking and pricing up audio iunterfaces, like mbox etc and m-audios etc etc. and none of them say if they are compatible with logic, if you are a mac user and you record at home with a small setup like this? can u tell me what you use and that?

little firewire audio interfaces im after, with 2 xlr inputs and 2 jack inputs, oh needs midi also

like i said done loads of googling cant find info on compatibility, or do u reck it will just work?

i dunno making my head sore now lol
Ad

I don't have experience with it, but M Audio stuff SHOULD work with logic. Need to check with someone else though.

I would reccommend Focusrite stuff when it comes to Firewire interfaces/preamps - take a look/read at the Saffire, it seems like it'd suit you. Expensive (ish), but great quality.

Are you going to BUY logic? It's like £600, which sucks. I wish I could afford the full verison.

Hope that helped, a bit, haha.

Dan

Just starting to look around for Logic & perhaps Protools LE myself to go on a second hand G5 just acquired this evening.

The Mbox interfaces seem generally to come with Protools LE and presumably as the box is just an interface between source & machine it ought to appear as an audio source whatever software you are using.

That said it is [i]REALLY [/i]early days for me with Macs so I shall follow you trials & tribulations with interest if you post back progress.

Logic Pro 7 seems to turn up regularly in sealed boxes from apparently reputable sources for about £350 on Ebay. Still a lot, but half list. [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-Logic-Pro-7-2-Retail-Universal-XSkey-PowerSeller_W0QQitemZ150151400485QQihZ005QQcategoryZ189QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]This guy[/url] has apparently shifted a lot of copies around that price. I hasten to add I have no connection and have no means of verifying the truth or otherwise of the items, but the feedback [i]seems [/i]OK

yeah, thanks for the replys guys, I was going to pay for it on ebay having seen it sealed and knocked out far cheaper than the listed mac price, which stings!!

alternativley i might just stick with this ibook g4 and express and just get an interface for that (its the last model before they went intel) it still has enough power to run logic and an interface, and could save me a lot of money also, but on the other hand ARGH im doin it again lol Head is hurting with it all lol

Ad

Are you absolutely sure you've hit the buffers with Logic Express? I'm still using GarageBand, and find it more than adequate for my needs - your needs might differ of course - it sounds as though in your case you've gone way past GarageBand. :huh:

I've tried Logic Express, but found the extra facilities just got in the way of the creative process. The tyranny of choice syndrome left me trying all sorts of things out, but actually playing very little. Only when I've really hit the limitations of GarageBand will I move on. It taught me to concentrate on the things that are important, such as mic placement, properly warming up, learning the parts etc, trying different arrangements, rather than endlessly tinkering with effects, and it's immediacy is very compelling.

The difference between Logic Express and Logic Pro would only exacerbate the problem with me. :)

Logic Express is undoubtedly a great application, and I'd be tempted to stick with it unless you know of a compelling reason not to. If there is, then get it.

It's easy to fool yourself into thinking the next acquisition will solve everything. Been there - guilty m'lud. :huh: I'm now much more in favour of stripping unnecessary things away rather than adding, but that process will not suit everyone, and could be a disaster for some musical genres.

Good luck whichever way you go, and let us know how you get on.

hmmmm, i think your right, I think I am upgrading just for the sake of it, I mean Logic Express is great IMO, and maybe all I need is a interface to get my bass on there, and other things.

hmmm, still want a new mac tho hahaha

Ad

+1 for ShergoldSnickers post;
i know a few people who have m-audio stuff and use it with logic so pretty sure it would work for you. If you do decide to go for a new mac and logic pro, call their sales line and ask for any promotions for buying logic pro with the mac, got mine much cheaper than buying seperately from the apple site, plus the call centre is in ireland so you get to talk to a wee irish chappy.
Just need to find the right deal on a motu traveler and i'll have the ultimate mobile recording setup for under 2 grand. :) :wub: :huh:

[quote name='Sibob' post='45708' date='Aug 15 2007, 12:13 PM']Aren't the iMacs the completly un-upgradable sealed affairs???

surely a G5 would be a better bet for recording?
Our guitarist uses Logic 7.1, tis great from what i've seen!

Si[/quote]

I think the days of large boxes that require stuffing with extra drives, cards etc are numbered on the consumer front. Want a bigger drive? Hang a FireWire 800 one off the back. When you sell the Mac you can keep the drive for backups. Same with digital audio input/output boxes. Stick to FireWire and keep it when the Mac goes for a better one.

The new iMacs are very powerful, much more so than the older G5 powered generation, and will be more than adequate for any home recording setup I could devise. On my iMac, which is a previous G5 type, the internal hard drive and RAM are user upgradeable, but I can't remember the last time I bothered swapping a hard drive out. 2001 possibly. I just hang bigger ones off the back and keep the internal for running the system.

A large proportion of computer sales - or Mac ones at any rate - are now in the laptop arena, and no-one seems to bother about getting inside those. I can however see why one of the more traditional Mac towers might be an idea for a big professional studio set-up. A quad or eight core Xeon Mac Pro tower would be very nice. :).

[quote name='Sibob' post='45708' date='Aug 15 2007, 12:13 PM']Aren't the iMacs the completly un-upgradable sealed affairs???

surely a G5 would be a better bet for recording?
Our guitarist uses Logic 7.1, tis great from what i've seen!

Si[/quote]

Long gone are the days of having to upgrade internally...... USB 2 and Firewire have put that into perspective. I'm currently using a 20" Imac running Digital performer (Best Mac recording software as far as I'm concerned) with a couple of MOTU 828MK2's. Logic is good program too.

New 20" Imacs are now £799.00 what a bargain!!!!!

[quote name='crez5150' post='45786' date='Aug 15 2007, 01:29 PM']Long gone are the days of having to upgrade internally...... USB 2 and Firewire have put that into perspective. I'm currently using a 20" Imac running Digital performer (Best Mac recording software as far as I'm concerned) with a couple of MOTU 828MK2's. Logic is good program too.

New 20" Imacs are now £799.00 what a bargain!!!!![/quote]

deffo what im after, the new imacs are more powerful and at this low price, has made my spider senses tingle. That has brought on the debate in the first place, i wanted a new imac, and wanted to upgrade logic as well, i think i'm gonna hang fire on the upgrade of logic until i find a need for having the pro version over the express version. But still gonna get the new imac in the next month i think.

thanks for all replies
Ad

I use logic express on an old iMac G5, it works fine with plenty of processing power left over. The new iMacs would be easily powerful however you may need to get a crossgrade to logic 7.2 if thats not the version you have already. Its just an upgrade but you have to buy it. Im not sure if its even sold anymore.

To answer the original post M-Audio or Focusrite products are all compatible with Logic- anything that is Mac compatible will be fine.
The M-Audio Firewire 410 would suit you and is less than £200 now.
I use Logic Pro but it all depends what you want it for- I do backing tracks and clicks etc so I need more sounds and plug-ins than I had with Logic Express.
I got it for a snip off eBay but be careful with who you trust.
The new iMacs do look a bit good don't they!

All the m audio gear work well with logic and its nice and cheap and reliable. Logic isn't my first choice sequencer (i find it slow to work on and poorly laid out in comparison to Pro Tools) but its stunningly powerful.

Having used pro and express i find it hard to justify to myself the MASSIVE price difference. In my opinion (remember this is flawed as i am not a first choice logic user) express is far better value for money. The additional features you would only really miss if you used pro lots and then had to downgrade.

Ignorance is bliss and all that.

Garry