Why become a member? ×

Duff's tone at bedroom levels??

sammarshall27

Hi,

I'm on the verge of buying a bass with a PJ configuration, maybe the Duff signature or an aerodyne P or J bass and I would like an amp that can get as close to Duff's tone as possible, but I'm only a bedroom player, very occassionally jamming with a drummer at a rehearsal studio. I'd love a GK RB400 or similar but I guess this is maybe a bit too much for bedroom use as I'll have to really crank it to get the signature GK tone/growl out of it. Another option is something from the Microbass series. Or if there's anything else that can get a good Duff tone at low volume I'd appreciate your feedback.

Regards,

Sam :)

I love the Microbass series. Don't get it for Duff's sound though. A non-valve distortion pedal and a hint of chorus would do the trick.

The RB400 has a growl button if I remember correctly (called G.I.V.E). I used to have one - good amp!

EDIT: The Line6 probably won't give you Duff's sound exactly but it will give you a whole bunch of great amp sounds.

Edited by The Funk

YOu'll be able to get a pretty good replica with a Pod XT or X3 ;o) - Have you spotted the Jazz Bass Special for sale on here? That'll help you nail that all important Duff tone.. Don't forget, his Jazz Bass Specials had Seymour Duncan pups in, not stock which can affect the tone too. Rotosound strings... and I understand for his signature chorus sound he used an old Yamaha SPX-90? - Again, the POD can mimic the effects and dirt suitably.

Hmmm.. I might go try that later with my very own Jazz Bass Special! YAY!

[quote name='Adee' post='427141' date='Mar 6 2009, 01:06 PM']I thought a lot of Duff's sound came from a MXR M-80 pedal[/quote]
I think that has been more to do with Velvet Revolver and that over driven sound rather than the old Guns stuff, I say that 'cos that pedal ain't been around that long!

Also to point out what Dood said, I think the P & J pickup configuaration is a lot to do with the sound also.

Dood - let us know how you get on nailing the Duff sound, am interested to hear. Will you go for the really 'clanky' chourusy sound or the more subtle/traditional Duff sound?

JTB

[quote name='Adee' post='427141' date='Mar 6 2009, 01:06 PM']I thought a lot of Duff's sound came from a MXR M-80 pedal[/quote]

[quote name='jonthebass' post='427205' date='Mar 6 2009, 02:02 PM']I think that has been more to do with Velvet Revolver and that over driven sound rather than the old Guns stuff, I say that 'cos that pedal ain't been around that long!

Also to point out what Dood said, I think the P & J pickup configuaration is a lot to do with the sound also.

Dood - let us know how you get on nailing the Duff sound, am interested to hear. Will you go for the really 'clanky' chourusy sound or the more subtle/traditional Duff sound?

JTB[/quote]

I watched an interview with Duff on YouPube and he didnt mention the M80 at all.. which I thought strange. The pedal is sooo good though! -

Ok, JTB, i'll let ya know! - I'm gonna go with the clanky chorus sound from the 'Use Your Illusion' period I think.

I did actually think of something else that helps get *that* sound too... tune down to Eb. The tone of the bass will change closer to what you are after.