Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB112 vs MB TRV121H, loudness, tone.

wildebassman

A friend of mine has an MB LMIII and we were discussing loudness of a cabinet in relation to db sensitivity rate. He wants to buy an Aguilar 112db (95db sensitivity) at a good price online but the MB traveler 121h is 99db spl and I think it will be a good deal louder at the same wattage... 
Besides that how do they match up tonally?

What do the techs say and the ones that have played the mentioned cabs.

Please enlighten me..

Thanks Dennis.
Edited by wildebassman

You really do need to take manufacturers' specs with a large pinch of salt. They exaggerate a lot. A figure for sensitivity is meaningless unless you know how it has been calculated. Ideally, that means a frequency response curve measured under standard conditions – the kind of thing pro speaker system manufacturers provide.

Anybody can make a bass cab that has high sensitivity in the midrange, but unless the LF can keep up, it will sound unbalanced. Anything between 94dB and 97dB is a reasonable figure for a medium sized 12" cab. 99dB is almost certainly not an honest figure.

Doesn't the MB have a larger cabinet? If so, it might be marginally more sensitive at low frequencies (where it counts) than the Aguilar, but not much.

1 hour ago, stevie said:

You really do need to take manufacturers' specs with a large pinch of salt. They exaggerate a lot. A figure for sensitivity is meaningless unless you know how it has been calculated. Ideally, that means a frequency response curve measured under standard conditions – the kind of thing pro speaker system manufacturers provide.

Anybody can make a bass cab that has high sensitivity in the midrange, but unless the LF can keep up, it will sound unbalanced. Anything between 94dB and 97dB is a reasonable figure for a medium sized 12" cab. 99dB is almost certainly not an honest figure.

Doesn't the MB have a larger cabinet? If so, it might be marginally more sensitive at low frequencies (where it counts) than the Aguilar, but not much.

Yes I agree with 'Pinch of Salt' when dealing with any spec. Markbass does not show how sensitivity spec was gathered. Aguilar specifies 1watt at 1 meter but there 112SL IS RATED AT 99.9 DB at 1 watt 1 meter

Thanks for all the input. I decided to buy a 112ext Vanderkley cabinet as it is front ported, lighter and absolutely brilliant.....only downside...the price..in comparison to the aguilar. Now next is another amp..leaning towards an EBS Reidmar 750...