SurroundedByManatees

SOLD Rare 1972/1973 Gibson SB-450 - - > case still available
£975
Netherlands

Gibson SB-450 

Cool and rare Gibson from the '70s. Apparently less then 1.000 were made, so there aren't too many of them around. As comparing from the internet (serial numbers and type of tuners), it's likely to be from 1972 or early 1973. I bought it as being a 1972 myself. 

Pictures:

HvkuUbK.jpg

p2zaZDt.jpg

u1YyJZz.jpg

KKzHwmZ.jpg

uEfcnft.jpg

Cc5tghW.jpg

94s9qbH.jpg

fI8a8xV.jpg

czK8kDK.jpg

HujY4CI.jpg

faWDHng.jpg

UxPFUwE.jpg

UlQu1sC.jpg

lOrzUVv.jpg

5XnD5vY.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, the bass has been used. It has a lot of user marks and finish checking all over. The bridge has been replaced (original one in poor condition is still there), as well as the truss rod cover. It should be mentioned that the plastic cover of the bridge pickup has broken at the point where the adjustment screw enters. Someone tried to melt it together again, but its still loose. I've set the hight, and left it this way. 

Further this bass is in good functional condition. The neck is straight and all hardware and electronics function like they should. 

This bass plays and sounds great. It has an open, clear and full punchy sound. Not what is usually expected from a Gibson. It's also a very light instrument; my kitchen scale says it's only 3,35 kilos! 

The original hardcase is included. 

Asking €1.100 (approx £975)

Now €750 with hardcase included or €650 without hardcase. 

The bass is located in the Netherlands. Shipping is possible at buyers risk and expense. 

Trades are welcome: old fender Mustang guitar, am std strat... 2eq stingray with lacquered neck, bunch of effects pedals, Mustang bass case, cool old Japanese basses..... 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 7

I had the guitar version of this and it was super cool and played amazingly well. I reckon this would be fantastic!

• Like 1

Last drop to €750 for this lightweight old Gibson with its original case! It can also be sold without the case at €650 if buyer wishes so. 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees

I am mainly gassing for a good jazz bass at the moment; anything between a good Japanese copy and original vintage Fender has my attention. 

I've got several basses that may leave to accommodate a purchase (Modulus Flea 5, Stingray 3eq, Gibson SB-450, Rcknbckr 4001). I am also happy to offer a combination of them in a trade if a good vintage Fender (60s or early 70s, not heavy) is being offered. Sunburst and tort would be nice. A refinish wouldn't be a dealbreaker. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Gardenerben
      For Sale is a 70'S Camel Journey P bass. 
      I got this in a part trade but trying to keep the numbers down. I think this bass has been through a couple of hands on here and features in this thread: 
      It's a fine playing P with a very pretty body, from the grain I'm guessing is Ash. 
      Dimarzio Model P pups with series/parallel switch.
      Good weight at 8.9lbs or 4.04Kg
      42mm at nut
      Currently wearing La Bella RX Steels 45-105
      Plenty of dings, buckle rash and bruises on the body but certainly more mojo than any major issues. Two ding's on the back of the neck one clearly visible, second far less so. On the thumb side so doesn't bother me (and I thought I was fussy about necks). Small lacquer cracks on the neck pocket. Bridge cover fitted at some point but not present so screws in holes. Tried to show all in pics.
      It doesn't come with a case so collection/meet would be sensible. (I do have an old beast of a case but can imagine this would make shipping expensive, could also double box if risk is accepted or happy to send in a hard case you provide).

My Feedback

• By Bassaio
      LAST PRICE DROP £1250
      Gorgeous Bass made in Switzerland, by great luthier Tino Tedesco ():
      Body Ash with tonal Chambers
      Top Alder
      Neck quartesawn maple
      Fingerboard  birdseye maple
      Hipshot Tuners - Dunlop Straplocks - Pickup X-EMG Active
      ultralightweight

• By Arnoldoc
      Selling my Atelier Z Jerry Barnes M265. Top of the line, hand made in Japan, 70s style bass from Atelier. Bought new a few weeks ago and in literally "as new" condition. Fantastic instrument and craftsmanship, but selling as I'm much more of a 60s pickup position / alder body guy. Easily nails the 70s super jazz, Marcus Miller type of tone. It has an upgraded electronics package (including a passive tone knob), adding additional versatility. 70s type of sound but without the huge weight! (pretty light for an ash 5 string). Currently setup with quite low action with no buzz at all.
      Jerry Barnes (Chic's bass player) signature model. 
      Specs:
      Neck : Maple with binding, 21 Frets
      Body : Ash
      Tuners : GOTOH 
      Bridge : Vintage-type
      Pickups : ATELIER Z JBZ-5
      Preamp : ATELIER Z EQ-M
      Control : F vol, R vol/switch A/P, Passive Tone, Stacked Bass/Trenble
      Colour : Vintage Natural gloss
      Gig Bag: Padded deluxe
      Sring spacing at bridge: 19mm
      Weight: 4.5kg
      Plenty of feedback:  

• By silentbob
      Picked this up a couple of months back to have another try with five strings. Not sure what I was thinking because I struggle with four so in light of some recent purchases I  think I will move this on.
      The Good Points
      It's a good, solid 5 string bass which punches above it's weight. Body is Bubinga wood, fingerboard is Rosewood. The neck is super flat and really nice to play. Hardware and pickups are by Wilkinson. The four pots are Volume, Tone, Bass, and Pickup Blend.
      The Bad Points
      It has a few marks and dings (the previous owner toured Europe with it) but nothing major, just general, light, wear and tear.
      When I picked it up, it had a really low output, and the pickup blend pot was crackly when adjusted. On inspection, the battery had leaked and corroded the battery clip, so I replaced that and stuck in a new 9v which sorted the output issue. I haven't gotten around to fixing the pot yet. It may just need a squirt of cleaner, or it may need a replacement soldering in, both of which should be pretty simple and are reflected in the price.
      Price is £125. This does not include shipping but does include a crap Fender gig bag to carry it home in. Shipping could possibly be arranged. I have a box, and can upgrade to a better more padded gigbag, but this will push the price to £160.
      I would also consider a trade for a high end (Mono, Sadowsky) gig bag with money either way.
      Socially distanced collection or viewing is welcome, as is PayPal if fees are covered.
      Any questions, please ask.

• By SurroundedByManatees
      Fender Coronado Bass ll 
      Very nice example of a Wildwood ll Coronado Bass, made in early 1968 (neck dated Jan 18th). It's a true beauty with a rare highly flamed maple neck and lollipop tuners. The bass appears to be all original and is in very good shape for its age. It has finish checking around and some small damages, but nothing significant. 

The Coronado has been setup with tapewounds which suit the bass very well. It can do some vintage sounds as well as some more punchy modern tones. It sounds great when played with either fingers or pick. 
      A sturdy epiphone hardcase is included in the sale. 
      Asking €3.250
      As for trades/partial trades I am mainly interested in a good precision (everything between a vintage Fender or better Japanese copy, good Squier...), old Music Man Sabre (walnut preffered), ampeg v4(b) amp, nice Fender strat or (vintage) offset guitar.... 
      I am located in the Netherlands, but am happy to ship at buyers risk..