SurroundedByManatees

SOLD Rare 1972/1973 Gibson SB-450 - - > case still available
£975
Netherlands

Posted (edited)

Gibson SB-450 

Cool and rare Gibson from the '70s. Apparently less then 1.000 were made, so there aren't too many of them around. As comparing from the internet (serial numbers and type of tuners), it's likely to be from 1972 or early 1973. I bought it as being a 1972 myself. 

Pictures:

HvkuUbK.jpg

p2zaZDt.jpg

u1YyJZz.jpg

KKzHwmZ.jpg

uEfcnft.jpg

Cc5tghW.jpg

94s9qbH.jpg

fI8a8xV.jpg

czK8kDK.jpg

HujY4CI.jpg

faWDHng.jpg

UxPFUwE.jpg

UlQu1sC.jpg

lOrzUVv.jpg

5XnD5vY.jpg

As you can see from the pictures, the bass has been used. It has a lot of user marks and finish checking all over. The bridge has been replaced (original one in poor condition is still there), as well as the truss rod cover. It should be mentioned that the plastic cover of the bridge pickup has broken at the point where the adjustment screw enters. Someone tried to melt it together again, but its still loose. I've set the hight, and left it this way. 

Further this bass is in good functional condition. The neck is straight and all hardware and electronics function like they should. 

This bass plays and sounds great. It has an open, clear and full punchy sound. Not what is usually expected from a Gibson. It's also a very light instrument; my kitchen scale says it's only 3,35 kilos! 

The original hardcase is included. 

Asking €1.100 (approx £975)

Now €750 with hardcase included or €650 without hardcase. 

The bass is located in the Netherlands. Shipping is possible at buyers risk and expense. 

Trades are welcome: old fender Mustang guitar, am std strat... 2eq stingray with lacquered neck, bunch of effects pedals, Mustang bass case, cool old Japanese basses..... 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 7

I had the guitar version of this and it was super cool and played amazingly well. I reckon this would be fantastic!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Last drop to €750 for this lightweight old Gibson with its original case! It can also be sold without the case at €650 if buyer wishes so. 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees

I am mainly gassing for a good jazz bass at the moment; anything between a good Japanese copy and original vintage Fender has my attention. 

I've got several basses that may leave to accommodate a purchase (Modulus Flea 5, Stingray 3eq, Gibson SB-450, Rcknbckr 4001). I am also happy to offer a combination of them in a trade if a good vintage Fender (60s or early 70s, not heavy) is being offered. Sunburst and tort would be nice. A refinish wouldn't be a dealbreaker. 

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rollo
      For sale/For Trade a beautiful MTD 535-21 from 1995, very good shape, lightweight (3.7kg) and very rare with this woods configuration.
      It's a bass from second year of the MTD's production (finished in December 1995), delivered with original brown hardcase and Mike's letter.
      Its weight is really surprising for a 5 string and it is very balanced. The sound is filled with growl and presence, lots of low-mids and a really strong character.
      This is according to Tobias, the sound he had in mind when he thought about the evolution he wanted to make by launching this new brand in the early 90s.

Here are specifications :
      Body : Korina, lightweight whith a wonderlful golden color
      Neck : Wenge, quartersawn, one piece, 4 screws bolt-on with asymetric profile
      Fingerboard : One piece of Wenge
      Scale : 35"
      Frets : 21 + 1 frets silver/nickel in perfect shape
      Headstock : 2 + 3 with Wenge veneer
      Nut : Bone
      Pickups : Originals MTD/Bartolini, inverted P pickups
      Preamp : Original MTD/Bartolini, works with two battery, +/-9v configuration
      Controls : Volume/Blend/Bass/Mids/Treble + Mediums frequencies switch 250/400/800 Hz
      Tunes : Originals Gotoh GB707
      Bridge : Original Wilkinson in perfect condition
      Strings Spacing at Bridge : 19mm
      Strings Spacing at Nut : 9mm
      Knobs : MTD
      Hardware color : Black
      Trussrod : One working and perfect set up rod
      Land of Craftsmanship : Handmade in USA
      Weight : 3.7kg

This bass is very easy to play and the weight is super nice when you are standing. The bass has a few strokes and a few marks, but nothing bad for a bass of this age.
      It’s an instrument that has been played and that resonates wonderfully. The sound is typical MTD, with snap and an unbeatable slap sound. The woods used really offer a very ample and imposing sound, with a very good definition and a really important presence in a mix.

You can see pictures in full HD here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18LL6pQFNSi13FkmicCoRCf_hwKYAFCxp?usp=sharing
      And listen a lots of soundclips here : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1lENbaYYXVDuhg6jlYJiZX5azU6uf8fj3?usp=sharing
      Don’t hesitate if you want additional photos or soundclips.

For exchanges I am quite open, I am interested in fretted or fretless basses, from 4 to 6 strings.
      Rather looking for a Fbass, Leduc, Ken Smith, or whatever...
      Submit !

For information :
      Price new in 1995: $ 3500 + $ 300 (Wenge neck and fingerboard) + $ 300 (Korina body) + $ 140 (Hardcase) = $ 4240 or current $ 7240 with dollar inflation
      Current new price: $ 5,200 + $ 500 (Wenge neck and fingerboard) + $ 300 (Korina body) + $ 450 (Hardcase) = $ 6,450

3200£ is for average trade value.
      For straight sale, price is negociable.

Bomb-proof shipping OK

• By CalDeep
      Up is my green label boss bass chorus, the classic! Full of mojo and a great sound, and is sadly just not getting used. 

Price includes UK postage. 

Any questions let me know! 

Ideally looking for a sale, but try me with trades and part ex

• By such
      PRICE DROPPED: £900
      For a very limited time I'm also open to near offers. 

For sale is my Fender Marcus Miller signature Jazz Bass. I bought it on BassChat in around 2012; not sure when exactly or who from, since the messages are gone. It had been upgraded by the previous owner with a Sadowsky VTC preamp and Hipshot D-Tuner in matching reverse/nickel. You can say "modded, not upgraded" but I think it's hard to disagree these are legitimate upgrades. The VTC feature itself makes so much difference, the tone control being functional in both passive and active modes allows for some superb tones. Like, cutting most highs with the tone control while boosting treble with the active knob (which is centered somewhat lower, freq-wise) when on bridge pickup soloed, gets you that dark but focused and super spiky tone of electric jazz/fusion virtuoso. 
      Then of course you get a superb slap tone, clean and classic jazz bass sounds and everything you can reasonably expect from a bass of this format. It's bright, punchy, meaty, growly, snappy, airy, open, clear and big. 
      The bass is super playable. When I bought it, the nut was a tiny bit high, I found, so I got Andrew from Anaconda Basses (they weren't really a thing yet then, about to launch) to make me a brass one. It improved playability and effortlessness in lower registers, open string sound and sustain (possibly) and harmonics (audibly). 
      It's as good a jazz bass as you'll get, if you're into this sort of thing. 
      I recall checking the serial number once, and the result said 2007-2010. Also, I think it weighed at 4.1kg, will edit if I remember wrong. It's fairly light and very well balanced. The battery keeps forever. I changed it recently after more than 2 years. It was still going strong, just messed with my inner comfort. 
      Unfortunately, I seem to have inherited arthritic tendencies, so combined with my long fingers, I can't really play a jazz neck anymore. I've commissioned a build of a bass based in some ways on this one, and it will also be funded by this sale - therefore no trades, I'm afraid. 
      I'm willing to post, will need to figure it out though. I will change strings to brand new D'Addario XL steels or nickels (buyer's choice) in 45-105. 

• By ezbass
      Up for sale is my Maruszczyk Jake L in Fiesta Red (very Pino). I bought this new in mid April of last year. It has been gigged a few times and, apart from the usual swirls, is in great condition. Sounds just like you'd expect a P Bass to sound. 
      Jake L (Precision type) chambered alder body.
      34" Scale maple neck, katalox fretboard with MOP dots.
      19mm bridge spacing, 40mm nut width.
      Standard Maruszczyk split coil pickup, passive circuit.
      Tort, 3 ply pickguard.
      Weighs 7lbs 3ozs (3.3kg ish).
      Hardware is standard Maruszczyk fitment.
      Maruszczyk gig bag.
      Currently fitted with Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats.

• By Apothem
      NEW PRICE
      Playing zero nowadays, hence FOR SALE ONLY, thinning the herd here.
      Beautiful vintage Music Man STINGRAY, April 1989, black / maple, original hardshell case (with keys). Unmistakable 2-band, classic Stingray sound, from smooth fingerstyle to snappy slap. One from the golden era of EBMM, still with the finished neck, bullet trussrod and skunk stripe on the back of the neck. Some birdseye on fingerboard and neck. Chrome battery cover. Already featuring the screws-through-saddles design bridge, allowing lower action. Currently set with very little relief and low action. Strung with 45-105 Daddario ProSteels with only a few hours of bedroom playing on.
      A little patina on the control plate and pegs, small dings on the body and some buckle rash on the back, the kind of signs to be expected on a 31 year old instrument, but neck and fingerboard are absolutely fine. To be completely honest upfront, I am not sure about the originality of the pickguard, although I may be wrong. Weight is 4.3 Kg.
      NEW PRICE £1250 + shipping, payment through bank transfer only, please. IF YOU BOUGHT IT FROM A VINTAGE INSTRUMENTS DEALER IT WOULD COST YOU WAAAY MORE, SO DO YOUR MATHS....
      Trade proposals will not be considered. Established, reputable BCers from the EU can contact me with their address for a shipping quote.
      Thanks for looking.