Why become a member? ×

Half/Groundwounds

DanOwens

I've just taken off a set of SIT Silencers and I love them.

I've got a set of nylon-wound Status Hotwires on my fretted Jazz, and they are incredibly articulate in the high mids, but aren't as boomy in the low-end as the SITs.

Are the non-nylon wound Status Hotwires a bit more bassy? (Or do you know where I can get SITs in the UK?)

Also, what do you guys use?

Dan

Been using Rotosound Solo bass groundwounds for 20 years on a fretless without any significant fretboard wear. Gives me everything I want with no hassles (which, I guess, is why I have never needed to look elsewhere for strings). I use the same bass for jazz, Latin and funk/rock/pop and it delivers everytime.

The thing is, I'm a little confused with sh*t it is exactly that I want:

When I put the SITs on, I loved that they felt flat, with low tension (a thin gauge probably helped) but a bright tone.

I took them off (the neck went from 3+1 to 4-in-line) and put on Ernie Ball Hybrid rounds so I had the brightness, but when I gig, the top-end sounds brittle (my cab has no tweeter either).

I want bright, but not harsh, I want bassy but low tension. What I want is either Status Hotwires (if you guys recommend as such) or another set of slightly heavier SITs.

Dan

[quote name='DanOwens' post='421466' date='Feb 28 2009, 01:18 AM']The thing is, I'm a little confused with sh*t it is exactly that I want:

When I put the SITs on, I loved that they felt flat, with low tension (a thin gauge probably helped) but a bright tone.

I took them off (the neck went from 3+1 to 4-in-line) and put on Ernie Ball Hybrid rounds so I had the brightness, but when I gig, the top-end sounds brittle (my cab has no tweeter either).

I want bright, but not harsh, I want bassy but low tension. What I want is either Status Hotwires (if you guys recommend as such) or another set of slightly heavier SITs.

Dan[/quote]
I would not describe the hotwires as low tension. Have you tried TI Jazz Flats? Very bright for flats.