Why become a member? ×

Scale length confusion

Huw Foster

I'm not entirely sure if this warrants a new topic, but I'll go ahead anyway.

Not so long ago I acquired a Schecter Stiletto Custom 5, which is a 5 string as the name suggests. I bought a set of long scale d'Addario Pro Steels to replace what I assume were the stock strings (I bought it nearly new off eBay). Now here's the problem - the B string, and to a lesser extent the E string doesn't quite reach over the nut before the thicker wrap of the string ends... It's still playable, but there's a hint of rattle when it's played open.

This has led me to believe that I need a super long scale set, or at least the lower strings. However, according to d'Addario, this current set [i]should[/i] be fine. The tech specs for this bass claim the scale length to be 35". Long scale d'Addarios apparently account for 34"-36".

Can anyone help me out? Will I have to fork out that little extra for super long scale strings (perhaps the bass is slightly longer scale than listed), or is the problem due to a slight lack in quality control at d'Addario?

Ta

Huw

Take a look at this, from D'Addario's website:
[url="http://www.tothestage.com/upload/BassArticle2_1803.pdf"]http://www.tothestage.com/upload/BassArticle2_1803.pdf[/url]

Pages 3 & 4 give you a method to determine which of the D'Addario string lengths you'll need. It involves measuring from the nut [b]all the way to the ball end[/b]. Chances are you'll have at least an inch between the ball end and the string passing over the saddle, even if it doesn't string through the body, so you're looking at your scale length [b]plus at least an inch[/b]. So, the bad news is that you'll very probably be looking at a measurement over 36", pushing you into the realm of "Super Long". Bummer for your current set. Unless you can live with the rattle, it's no good for you. ;)

Still, there are many, many guys who'd be quite chuffed to need something in "Super Long" size. :brow:

• 3 weeks later...