Why become a member? ×

Where do you shop mainly?

Clockworkwar

I was going to be stupid and say - [b]Ocado[/b] - recommend them highly BTW

But I've also had some very pleasurable shopping experiences here - so ar I've sold - all my EBS gear - but bought an Epifani 210 cab, in mint condition - and an EBS Octabass pedal - also in mint condition.

Everything else I buy is via tha Gallery - just waiting for my new Sei now ;) - edit - I also buy my strings from Stringbusters - good prices and delivered to my door saves a shed load of hassle wondering around London and NOT finding the strings I need...

M

TBH my tastes are so far from the mainstream that not even the strings - let alone the instruments - I regularly use are sold by any shops I've come across in the UK. The last time I tried to buy a set of strings at the last minute from my local music store they didn't have ANY 5-string sets in stock!

Most of my instrument and related purchases over the last year have been either on-line (here, eBay, various internet shops) or direct from the manufacturer, either by web site/email, phone or in person.

However not having the slightest interest in instruments from Fender/Musicman/Warwick, I'm not your typical bass buyer!

[quote name='neepheid' post='419094' date='Feb 25 2009, 10:45 AM']Mostly online (eBay, here, Stringbusters, Axesrus, WD, Allparts), because the two shops here try to be all things to all men and that means bass gets squeezed into a tiny dusty corner of the shop. Have been known to buy strings locally and that's about it. Yada yada support your local shop and all that but what if they don't really support me? I'm always so underwhelmed when I go in that I rarely do so, and to be honest apart from the occasional "must buy strings now" moment (which can be alleviated by having a spare set in advance), I probably wouldn't miss the shops if they disappeared.[/quote]

Same here, all my basses have been from here in the last few years apart from a couple which i imported. As for the local music shops they deserve to go out of bussiness, one has a set of EB Flats for sale at £32! I can get them delivered the next day for a tenner less, the other is just as bad, no stock and they can't be bothered to get anything in on aproval.

I've got some nice stuff from basschat since becoming a member and I've also sold a Stagg and an EBO. The bonus is that you meet and share knowledge with some nice guys. I had two double basses flown over from the States when the pound was strong and other stuff from various sources. PMT in Oxford are very good too.

[quote name='simon1964' post='419103' date='Feb 25 2009, 10:48 AM']Me too. Best music shop in the Midlands bar none.

Also Drum and Guitar Centre in Nottingham, and Music Scene in Mansfield

Music Scene is a geat small little shop if you're ever in North Notts. Two of the staff are keen bass players themselves, and they usually have one or two goodies there along with the usual stuff. They had a nice Stingray and Wariwck Corvette last time I was there, and often have some interesting vintage stuff as well.

[b]the old Sound Control shop in Derby is pretty good too - can't remember what its called now though.[/b]

And on here obviously![/quote]
Its Rattle and Drum Music now, The owner of the drum shop, originally Rattle and Drum, bought the premise after Sound Control went out, and cleaned up, etc. In fact, my drummer was doing work experience and had to help with that. Got a free guitar and a Cubase CD, although the CD doesn't work, and the guitar has a chunk missing from the neck, which is twisted, and the bridge is held up by roughly £3 in coins.

Zach

Be Music in Rutland, Vermont, and Wood Bros. in Pittsfield, Mass. Basses and amps are thin on the ground both places, but depending on who's manning the shop, you can usually find someone who won't bull**** you to death.

Be Music (not that many of you will ever see the inside of this store) just announced it will sell off all its Fenders: every one was marked down 20 percent. But it's all US-made basses; not a single MIM or Japanese Fender in the place. And they're wondering why they can't sell their stock?? Even at 20 percent off, how many musicians in Rutland, Vermont, can afford a US-made P-bass?