Why become a member? ×

Brass nut string pop out fun

Marky L

My P bass has a replacement brass nut and I have noticed when playing hard I can pop the A string out of the nut groove. (not sure of the string guage, they were fitted when I bought it, but they're not overly heavy).

I guess it's just a case of banging a file through the slot, but I was interested in any points of view before I start hacking away like a lunatic. ;)

It sounds like the nut slots are a little too shallow. An easy way to check if you have enough material to file the slot deeper is to fret the string just in front of the second fret. The clearance between the bottom of the string an the first fret should be just enough to slide a piece of paper through. If the gap is any larger, you may find fretting at the first fret harder than is necessary and the slot can be filed out until the optimum clearance is achieved.

Obviously, to do this you will need a suitable file. Had you been closer, I would have done it for you.

Anything you can do to increase the "break angle" of the string as it passes over the nut will help.

Typically this involves looking at how the string is wound on to the tuner post. Neat winding and ensuring that the string exits the post from the bottom of the windings around the post will help here.

If that doesn't help, then have a look at the nut slot - is the string too wide for the slot, or is the slot not deep enough ? It could be either.

Thanks for that.

Certainly agree with neat winding and having the string as low on the post as possible. Need to look closer to see if it is the slot depth or width.

Thanks for the offer of help BM, I'd have jumped at the offer, but you are just that bit too far away. I'll try the paper test tonight!

[quote name='BOD2' post='418260' date='Feb 24 2009, 12:10 PM']Anything you can do to increase the "break angle" of the string as it passes over the nut will help.

Typically this involves looking at how the string is wound on to the tuner post. Neat winding and ensuring that the string exits the post from the bottom of the windings around the post will help here.

If that doesn't help, then have a look at the nut slot - is the string too wide for the slot, or is the slot not deep enough ? It could be either.[/quote]

+1000

Well known & documented problem on Fender-style headstocks. Always cut the length of the A a bit longer than necessary to push it down the shaft of the tuning peg & increase the break angle.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

Great ideas here chaps, thanks v much. I'm going to re-string it shortly so I'll see what the results are after that.
Funny, I usually leave too much length on the strings and curse violently as I wind the damn things up for seems like an eternity!

M.

I've often thought it was my own inexperience in stringing at the time - but I had popping out A string syndrome on my P and solved it with a second round string guide.That was 30 ears ago and I've done it to all Fenderish basses ever since.

I like Neepheid's idea better - I don't suppose such gadgets were around when I was 17 or I'd have done it that way.

[quote name='Marky L' post='420015' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:42 PM']I usually leave too much length on the strings and curse violently as I wind the damn things up for seems like an eternity!

M.[/quote]
so do i but i have a string winder...adapted from the guitar model to take the big fender style ears