Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz bass

tuss

I've been offered a Jazz bass from a keyboard player I know, who bought the bass second hand in 1982. He's not sure how old it is, and I was wondering what's the easiest way of dating the bass? We're figuring that it must be a late '70s model. I'm presuming if I get the serial number that should help.

The bass is in exceptional condition and has hardly been gigged. The chap bought the bass but it has not really been used as he never got round to learning to play bass. I was using the bass at a rehearsal recently and said I'd be interested in buying the bass if he ever wanted to sell it. Trouble is now he's offered me it, he's no idea of how much to ask for and in fairness to him I want to offer him a reasonable price for it. I'm thinking a ball park figure of £1000 bearing in mind the condition of the bass.

Any advice would be appreciated.

+ 1. There are a few sites that explain serial no's of Fenders. I used one where I punched in the serial no and it told me the year and factory. Its a real fanatics game and theres lots of info online. Get hold of the serial no and you should find it easy to obtain the info.

Here's the site
[url="http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx"]http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx[/url]

It was accurate for me. You can then begin to value it...
I would say that don't just value it on year/condition - Most important is that it does that 'thing' for you. I've found Fenders to vary alot, if it really does it for you then its gotta be worth it. If not then begin the epic hunt to find one that you really like.

Edited by fingerz

If it is a late 70s one and hasn't really been played much it could be a real dog. Some of the basses I saw coming through my local music store in 78-79 could have done with a complete rebuild rather than just a set up to get them into a playable condition.

I wouldn't even think about a price until you seen and played it.

I've played the bass on a couple of occasions and was really impressed with it. It's quite heavy but the tone and playability of the bass together with the excellent condition are the reasons I'm seriously considering purchasing it.

Many thanks for the info.

[quote name='yorick' post='418320' date='Feb 24 2009, 12:52 PM']If i remember 78 models had S8 serial numbers, 79's-S9.... ETC[/quote]

S9's could have been produced any time between 78 and 81. Fenders serials started going all over the shop in the late seventies, so they're best used in conjunction with pickup dates, pot and neck codes. If there's a neck code the second to last number is the last digit of the year, with pot codes the 4th and 5th numbers (the numbers directly after 137) are the years. Assuming everything is as it left the factory, the last date you've got from the codes is the earliest time the bass could have been assembled.