Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1952 Vincent Black Lightning

EssentialTension

You could probably knock it out in G C D Em or something like. If it sounds good go for it. What a great song to cover as a band. When I played in a band with paul h we did a punk version of Beeswing by Thompson. It used to go down very well. Good luck.

Edited by Mr Fudge

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='419682' date='Feb 25 2009, 10:29 PM']You could probably knock it out in G C D Em or something like. If it sounds good go for it. What a great song to cover as a band. When I played in a band with paul h we did a punk version of Beeswing by Thompson. It used to go down very well. Good luck.[/quote]
Thanks but I don't think it will be the punk version ;)

And on my reckoning that would be G C D and Am (except we're in the key of A so A D E Bm) but maybe that's where I'm going wrong :P

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='419693' date='Feb 25 2009, 10:50 PM']Thanks but I don't think it will be the punk version ;)

And on my reckoning that would be G C D and Am (except we're in the key of A so A D E Bm) but maybe that's where I'm going wrong :P[/quote]

I think learning the melody woudl be a good idea. Give you some things to work with.

Beeswing and this in a set would be brilliant.

[quote name='OldGit' post='419733' date='Feb 25 2009, 11:50 PM']I think learning the melody woudl be a good idea. Give you some things to work with.

Beeswing and this in a set would be brilliant.[/quote]
Yes thanks, I started doing that but then I had to go to work and then rehearse with my other band. Oh well.

GCDGBE capo on 3rd fret anybody? This allows to play bar chords when needed and keeps the D shape in "action". I did look closely at this a few years ago as it was a bit of a holy grail for me being a big Thompson fan. I think I used the live in Austin dvd for reference as well, I could stand to be corrected though as the man in the oprthopedic shoes said.

I just found another dusty shelf of CDs!
RT + DT - Bloomington 1993 is another live recording, double CD this time. Pretty sure this came via Ebay, possibly from USA.
First track on CD2.. 1952 Vincent Black Lightning! Danny keeps it pretty simple on this one.. RT already does a pretty complete version on his own! :rolleyes:
Sounds like the way for you to go is listen to your guitarist if he's doing his own thing, then just get a nice groove going to help him along from behind. Tuesday, eh? No pressure there then! :)

[quote name='hubrad' post='422328' date='Mar 1 2009, 12:51 PM']I just found another dusty shelf of CDs!
RT + DT - Bloomington 1993 is another live recording, double CD this time. Pretty sure this came via Ebay, possibly from USA.
First track on CD2.. 1952 Vincent Black Lightning! Danny keeps it pretty simple on this one.. RT already does a pretty complete version on his own! :rolleyes:
Sounds like the way for you to go is listen to your guitarist if he's doing his own thing, then just get a nice groove going to help him along from behind.[/quote]

I don't suppose you've got an mp3 of that, have you? That you could let me have? PM me if we need to discuss methodology.

[quote name='hubrad' post='422328' date='Mar 1 2009, 12:51 PM']Tuesday, eh? No pressure there then! :)[/quote]

Complete pressure because (i) I'm extremely busy at work and (ii) I'm depping with a rock 'n' roll band on Saturday - never played with them before - and I have one rehearsal tomorrow night for which I learned 39 songs this weekend (I know it's only rock 'n' roll, and I did know some of them already, but my fingers and my brain are f*****d) and (iii) it's my son's birthday on tuesday and I booked a rehearsal and (iv) son doesn't care but mrs is not so keen.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='OldGit' post='422740' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:27 PM']Sounds like option A would certainly be "I've always thought that tune is just perfect without any bass"[/quote]

The thing is, what with the guitarist being good but not as good as RT, I do secretly believe I can add something. It's just that I haven't as yet figured out what it is that I can add. But it won't be happening on Tuesday.