Why become a member? ×

My amp won't turn on any more

Burg

Hi all,

hope someone can help with this. I went to practice a couple of weeks ago and my amd head wouldn't turn on. It was fine at the practice the week before and i've never had any problems in the past either. I checked the fuse and it had blown and have replaced with what I believe is the correct fuse but still no juice. Any advice?

I'm running a Hughes and Kettner Bassbase 600, i've checked using different kettle leads into different sockets and still no joy. Could I have the wrong fuse? The manual says 5A SB (230V), i've tried a 5A time delay from Maplin but it says 250V on the fuse. I can't find any 230V fuses though and now i'm just completely confused as to what to do next. I've also checked inside the amp for loose connections or damage to internal fuses and there wasn't anything obvious that I could see.

Help please, big gig on friday and I need my amp sorted before then!

If replacing the fuse (that one should be fine) didn't do the trick, sounds like something internal which caused the fuse to blow.. you need an amp repairer to check it over asap.
Where are you? Someone here will probably know of such a person in your area.
Poss also look at borrowing an amp.
Hope this helps, HUGH

Did you check both the fuse in the plug & any in the amp? Might be a damaged cable or a wire on the mains lead has come loose (such as one of the screws not being tight in the plug & a wire has come out, has happened to me before).

If it's a kettle lead, try replacing it. If none of this works then I'd look to getting an engineer to look at it as Hubrad suggests.