Why become a member? ×

The Bass Gallery

saibuster

On 27/12/2021 at 15:41, LukeFRC said:

A preamp can have any control setup and knobs used as long as the values of the potentiometers are the same. 

In short I kinda would trust the gallery more than your “few people” - esp if you didn’t notice yourself!

I did notice but presumed it was a correct fit ,I will take a photo and up load 

On 29/12/2021 at 23:49, Thunderbird said:

So have you spoken to the gallery about your problem and has anything been sorted? 

I've never been to the bass gallery but never heard anything bad about them in fact I'd like to go there sometime 

Before I had the pre amp fitted I spoke to Martin and asked about the concentric control knob being a official “ Sadowsky” control knob and he reassured me it was , he fitted it very quickly which was great but meanwhile I had done the session in hand and didn’t really take much notice of the bass. He set it up great and was very pleasant to speak with . But on seeing other Sadowsky pre amp to fender conversions i then realised that something was wrong with my fit . I was supplied by Martin with the wrong Allen key also and had to order one from the net which was very cheap so that was no problem. I then unscrewed the two grub screws which are on the side of the concentric knob. I did this to see if I could lower it and not only could I not lower them the concentric is taller than than the others . This is not how a Sadowsky pre amp with TC is . Martin did explain before he fitted that he had one older pre amp in stock but would have to order or find a official concentric Sadowsky control. Once he had fitted and finished I had a brief conversation and again asked him “ you managed to get a Sadowsky concentric control etc and he said yes and that was that . I drove to the shop to pick my bass up and it was a rush as I had to leave as I only get limited time to come to London as I look after my wife who has chemo every two weeks and the visit to the gallery was a quick one ! Please don’t get me wrong they are all very pleasant and helpful, but in terms of fitting my bass with the Sadowsky pre amp was partly my fault for not checking and I’m possibly gone past being able to rectify it ? I’m going to check again and take photo and upload and you can tell me ? I could be wrong I’m not perfect 🙏🏽

2 minutes ago, RedEarth said:

Before I had the pre amp fitted I spoke to Martin and asked about the concentric control knob being a official “ Sadowsky” control knob and he reassured me it was , he fitted it very quickly which was great but meanwhile I had done the session in hand and didn’t really take much notice of the bass. He set it up great and was very pleasant to speak with . But on seeing other Sadowsky pre amp to fender conversions i then realised that something was wrong with my fit . I was supplied by Martin with the wrong Allen key also and had to order one from the net which was very cheap so that was no problem. I then unscrewed the two grub screws which are on the side of the concentric knob. I did this to see if I could lower it and not only could I not lower them the concentric is taller than than the others . This is not how a Sadowsky pre amp with TC is . Martin did explain before he fitted that he had one older pre amp in stock but would have to order or find a official concentric Sadowsky control. Once he had fitted and finished I had a brief conversation and again asked him “ you managed to get a Sadowsky concentric control etc and he said yes and that was that . I drove to the shop to pick my bass up and it was a rush as I had to leave as I only get limited time to come to London as I look after my wife who has chemo every two weeks and the visit to the gallery was a quick one ! Please don’t get me wrong they are all very pleasant and helpful, but in terms of fitting my bass with the Sadowsky pre amp was partly my fault for not checking and I’m possibly gone past being able to rectify it ? I’m going to check again and take photo and upload and you can tell me ? I could be wrong I’m not perfect 🙏🏽

With the greatest of respect, I don't think posting photos on here is the way to go with it. I'm a bit bemused that you haven't spoken to Martin or John to ask them what they can do to resolve your concerns. The original post that you attached your complaint to is nearly 13 years old, but if you've read it you will be aware of the fantastic work The Gallery have been doing for 3 decades, and their reputation for excellence that continues to this day.

Martin and John have done work on a lot of my basses over many years, and have built custom instruments for me as well. Their work and customer service has always been impeccable, without exception. What I would suggest you do is speak to them yourself first, and see what can be done to resolve the issues you have. If you don't think the controls been fitted correctly, I'm sure they will be more than willing to find a way to resolve the matter, even if some time has passed since you had the work done.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, RedEarth said:

If I've read the post correctly you could always put a couple of washers or a nut on the pot then put it back together and this should make the shaft shorter and therefore make the concentric knobs fit lower to the control plate/ body 

48 minutes ago, lowregisterhead said:

With the greatest of respect, I don't think posting photos on here is the way to go with it. I'm a bit bemused that you haven't spoken to Martin or John to ask them what they can do to resolve your concerns. The original post that you attached your complaint to is nearly 13 years old, but if you've read it you will be aware of the fantastic work The Gallery have been doing for 3 decades, and their reputation for excellence that continues to this day.

Martin and John have done work on a lot of my basses over many years, and have built custom instruments for me as well. Their work and customer service has always been impeccable, without exception. What I would suggest you do is speak to them yourself first, and see what can be done to resolve the issues you have. If you don't think the controls been fitted correctly, I'm sure they will be more than willing to find a way to resolve the matter, even if some time has passed since you had the work done.

Thank you for your advice and I will call Martin. I haven’t had chance to play or look at the Ultra since it was re amped . I no way am I knocking or saying Martin is less than competent & I’m quite sure he is a master builder etc . That’s why I chose the gallery to do this work on my bass . I did go back shortly after as I was getting a shock and a hum  off my bass & took it back to discover it could of been carpet static since plus a socket that has a air purifier switched in . They were correct. Again I don’t fault they are in anyway masters at their work and I will call to resolve the issue 🙏🏽

• Like 1