Why become a member? ×

Putting passive pickups into a bass with an active preamp??

EdLib-3

On 13/11/2020 at 20:21, Baloney Balderdash said:

All preamps are active.

No such thing as a passive preamp.

A preamp without on board power , I.e. 9-18v battery supply, is literally a passive pickup, passive means it passes on the signal to an external source to be amplified. It's the same concept with powered and passive speakers. I think your understanding the context incorrectly 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kono said:

A preamp without on board power , I.e. 9-18v battery supply, is literally a passive pickup, passive means it passes on the signal to an external source to be amplified. It's the same concept with powered and passive speakers. I think your understanding the context incorrectly 

A pickup is not an amp!

It doesn't amplify anything it just transforms the mechanical energy from the vibrations of the strings to electrical energy.

In fact some of that mechanical energy from the vibrating strings is lost in the transformation.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kono said:

A preamp without on board power , I.e. 9-18v battery supply, is literally a passive pickup

It literally isn't, but congrats for coming in and reviving a 4 year old thread with your enlightenment :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2