Why become a member? ×

LED vs Thru necks

Jamesk86

I guess they can if they can get the fretboard off without damaging it. I've seen shots of them being slowly steamed off but it scares the life outta me. unless they are talking about those plastic strips of LED side dot markers.
Once the fretboard is off, it just needs a channel routed in close to the truss rod channel in which to bury all the fibre optics.

[quote name='Jamesk86' post='411962' date='Feb 17 2009, 01:48 PM']Right nice and easy, I have been told by an LED fretting company that they can infact put LED fret lights into my thru neck bass.

Can anyone clarify that this can actually be done and that i'm not just sending my bass off to the slaughter??

;)[/quote]

Indeed it can. I can vouch for Simms as he did the LEDs in my through neck. Which company are you thinking about using?

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='411966' date='Feb 17 2009, 01:57 PM']I guess they can if they can get the fretboard off without damaging it. I've seen shots of them being slowly steamed off but it scares the life outta me. unless they are talking about those plastic strips of LED side dot markers.
Once the fretboard is off, it just needs a channel routed in close to the truss rod channel in which to bury all the fibre optics.[/quote]

PS - the fretboards aren't removed to have the LEDs fitted.

[quote name='Jamesk86' post='412001' date='Feb 17 2009, 02:26 PM']Thats great news thanks guys, the company I was looking was called auroraproject. I'm going to have alook at simms now so what they can offer!!

Thanks for the advice!![/quote]

Ah yeah - I've been wondering what these guys are like... not seen their work, only their glowguards. Question is, would I trust these guys with my bass before i have seen their work...? Probably not. That's not to say their work isn't good. Just haven't seen it. Their prices seem very reasonable though. I may punt a squier their way in the future.

For anybody wondering... [url="http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/"]http://www.auroraproject.co.uk/[/url]

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='412083' date='Feb 17 2009, 03:40 PM']Aah, err, how do they fix them then? Do they rout from behind into the neck then fill with a skunk stripe?[/quote]

Nup. No routing the rear of the neck either... and a skunk stripe on some basses would just look tacky!

So how do you do it? I can't tell you this because I'll have to kill you. But what the hell, since you asked...

OK, it's easy enough to insert LEDs during the construction of a guitar... but I actually think that retrofitting LEDs is better just for ease of access should you ever have the misfortune of LED refusing to light...

In short, a small slice of wood is removed along the length of the neck (just under where the fretboard meets the neck) - and I'm talking tiny thin - which then is sub routed to all the position markers. It's a tight fit getting all the LEDs and wires in there (remember that the position markers for the LEDs are removed so LEDs can be dropped in that way). The wires are then taken to the base of the neck for connection through to the body (or through into the body in the case of a thru neck) for connection to the batteries and switch (or sound to light unit in the case of mine). Once everything is in place, a new piece of wood is put in to replace the wood that was removed and then where necessary, the finish is blended to giving a near invisible finish. When I say near invisible, it really is - you wouldn't see it unless I pointed it out. Having LEDs is expensive... but it is labour intensive, you are paying for the know how, the fact that the guy providing the service is geared up for doing it and the expertese in executing the procedure. People put in some very expense basses to be LEDed up. So there you go.

As for the side LEDs, well, something are best kept a mystery. My lips are sealed. ;)

One thing is that I would say about Simms, is make sure you know what you are going to be getting. I've seen Sims puts in a considerable sized round route in the back of your guitar to house the electronics and batteries complete with a big Sims logoed cover. I know a couple of people that have been shocked by this - it's hardly a descrete installation.