knirirr

NBD Triumph EUB

Although I said I'd not try an EUB again, this Triumph Lite turned up relatively cheaply within driving distance and, as it has a proper DB scale length, endpin etc.,  I thought it might be worth a go. As the image shows, it also has the all-important capability of being able to get up the stairs to the practice room.

The D string sounds a bit dull compared with the others and perhaps a change of strings will be needed at some point (recommendations welcome); other than that it seems pretty good for what it is.

IMG_2159.jpeg

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Love the styling on these.

It's pleasing that it still looks rather like the original Framus ones - I saw one played at a gig a little over 25 years ago and thought it excellent.

I've seen these and been so tempted.  Currently use a Stagg that I have modded a fair it and one of these would represent a fair step up.  BUt I simply can't justify it, unfortunately the band I was in with any ambition to play 'acoustic' gigs has now folded.

3 hours ago, Paul S said:

BUt I simply can't justify it, unfortunately the band I was in with any ambition to play 'acoustic' gigs has now folded.

That is a bit of a nuisance. May I ask how you modified the Stagg?

Certainly.  I did the usual cavity shield etc.  I mounted it onto a tripod stand so it now sits much like the NS Design basses, which in turn meant I could ditch the endpin and potential for rattle.  Then I moved the tailpiece up so it took regular strings - black nylon slap bass ones of a make a can't remember at the moment.  I find it easier to play now and the nylon strings make it sound more double bass-y. :) 

stagnewbridge3.jpg

stagnewbridge.jpg

• Like 2

Could these be the strings?

http://www.labella.com/products/7710n-double-bass-black-nylon-tape-wound/

I am tempted, though I dislike the look of black and the white ones might sound a bit too bright, from what I have read.

Having been practicing with this a bit I found that in order to get it at the correct height simply using the end pin on its maximum stop was not enough - I had to rest it upon a bucket-style giant plant pot as well, this being the only thing I could find of the correct height (I am 6'3"). Unfortunately, this bodge is a bit unstable. The tripod conversion above would fix this, but I'm not a fan of these and would rather the instrument could move around a bit whilst playing (I used to have an EUB on a stand and didn't much like it). Sitting down might have to be the solution - I can't think of an easy way to extend the end pin.

IMG_2174.thumb.jpeg.4c75d80bfc5e153f7c8244fc04d07b3d.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Paul S said:

What about something like a drum throne stand?

Are you thinking of resting the end pin on the base a drum throne with the seat removed? That should defintely be a bit more stable.

On 01/04/2020 at 11:07, knirirr said:

Having been practicing with this a bit I found that in order to get it at the correct height simply using the end pin on its maximum stop was not enough - I had to rest it upon a bucket-style giant plant pot as well, this being the only thing I could find of the correct height (I am 6'3"). Unfortunately, this bodge is a bit unstable. The tripod conversion above would fix this, but I'm not a fan of these and would rather the instrument could move around a bit whilst playing (I used to have an EUB on a stand and didn't much like it). Sitting down might have to be the solution - I can't think of an easy way to extend the end pin.

IMG_2174.thumb.jpeg.4c75d80bfc5e153f7c8244fc04d07b3d.jpeg

My Aria EUB also had a problem with a too short endpin. I ended up replacing it with a longer steel rod of the correct calibre (10mm) with a rubber cap at one end. Simplistic, but effective. 

• Like 1

As there was some discussion about how to make one of these taller, I thought I'd post an update with the means by which I solved this. A plumber friend happened to have a spare length of copper pipe of just the right diameter to slip over the end pin, to which I have added a rubber ferrule and a washer on top to protect the base of the instrument (plus a quick polish with Brasso). A bit of foam wrapped around the end pin before insertion prevents rattling.

IMG_2314.jpeg

• Like 4

Some work by a luthier to replace the BG-style tuners and it's now possible to fit proper double bass strings on this instrument. Not cheap, but far better than paying £6000+ for the deluxe Triumph model. 

IMG_2572.thumb.jpeg.12dd810d5753e61cea41cbf8100cbab4.jpeg

• Like 3