Jump to content
knirirr

NBD Triumph EUB

Recommended Posts

Although I said I'd not try an EUB again, this Triumph Lite turned up relatively cheaply within driving distance and, as it has a proper DB scale length, endpin etc.,  I thought it might be worth a go. As the image shows, it also has the all-important capability of being able to get up the stairs to the practice room.

The D string sounds a bit dull compared with the others and perhaps a change of strings will be needed at some point (recommendations welcome); other than that it seems pretty good for what it is.

 

 

IMG_2159.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Love the styling on these.

It's pleasing that it still looks rather like the original Framus ones - I saw one played at a gig a little over 25 years ago and thought it excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen these and been so tempted.  Currently use a Stagg that I have modded a fair it and one of these would represent a fair step up.  BUt I simply can't justify it, unfortunately the band I was in with any ambition to play 'acoustic' gigs has now folded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul S said:

 BUt I simply can't justify it, unfortunately the band I was in with any ambition to play 'acoustic' gigs has now folded.

That is a bit of a nuisance. May I ask how you modified the Stagg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certainly.  I did the usual cavity shield etc.  I mounted it onto a tripod stand so it now sits much like the NS Design basses, which in turn meant I could ditch the endpin and potential for rattle.  Then I moved the tailpiece up so it took regular strings - black nylon slap bass ones of a make a can't remember at the moment.  I find it easier to play now and the nylon strings make it sound more double bass-y. :) 

 

stagnewbridge3.jpg

stagnewbridge.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could these be the strings?

http://www.labella.com/products/7710n-double-bass-black-nylon-tape-wound/

I am tempted, though I dislike the look of black and the white ones might sound a bit too bright, from what I have read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having been practicing with this a bit I found that in order to get it at the correct height simply using the end pin on its maximum stop was not enough - I had to rest it upon a bucket-style giant plant pot as well, this being the only thing I could find of the correct height (I am 6'3"). Unfortunately, this bodge is a bit unstable. The tripod conversion above would fix this, but I'm not a fan of these and would rather the instrument could move around a bit whilst playing (I used to have an EUB on a stand and didn't much like it). Sitting down might have to be the solution - I can't think of an easy way to extend the end pin.

 

IMG_2174.thumb.jpeg.4c75d80bfc5e153f7c8244fc04d07b3d.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Paul S said:

What about something like a drum throne stand?

Are you thinking of resting the end pin on the base a drum throne with the seat removed? That should defintely be a bit more stable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2020 at 11:07, knirirr said:

Having been practicing with this a bit I found that in order to get it at the correct height simply using the end pin on its maximum stop was not enough - I had to rest it upon a bucket-style giant plant pot as well, this being the only thing I could find of the correct height (I am 6'3"). Unfortunately, this bodge is a bit unstable. The tripod conversion above would fix this, but I'm not a fan of these and would rather the instrument could move around a bit whilst playing (I used to have an EUB on a stand and didn't much like it). Sitting down might have to be the solution - I can't think of an easy way to extend the end pin.

 

IMG_2174.thumb.jpeg.4c75d80bfc5e153f7c8244fc04d07b3d.jpeg

My Aria EUB also had a problem with a too short endpin. I ended up replacing it with a longer steel rod of the correct calibre (10mm) with a rubber cap at one end. Simplistic, but effective. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As there was some discussion about how to make one of these taller, I thought I'd post an update with the means by which I solved this. A plumber friend happened to have a spare length of copper pipe of just the right diameter to slip over the end pin, to which I have added a rubber ferrule and a washer on top to protect the base of the instrument (plus a quick polish with Brasso). A bit of foam wrapped around the end pin before insertion prevents rattling.

 

 

IMG_2314.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some work by a luthier to replace the BG-style tuners and it's now possible to fit proper double bass strings on this instrument. Not cheap, but far better than paying £6000+ for the deluxe Triumph model. 

 

IMG_2572.thumb.jpeg.12dd810d5753e61cea41cbf8100cbab4.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...