Why become a member? ×

Limiter pedals

thumbo

I'm starting to think my pedal board would benefit from a limiter at the end of the line as I'm getting a little paranoid about what the overly harsh peaks from my envelope filter might be doing to my poor amp. Can anyone recommend a good limiter pedal?

The other option is getting rid of my EBS IQ envelope and getting an envelope filter that has a little more control. I use envelope effects for big ambient effects in songs, never for short funky stabs. So something with a little more control might be a better option. I use my envelope filter a lot so I'm willing to shell out some bucks on something decent if that's a better option. Thoughts? I'm not very familiar with what's out there in the world of envelope filters at the moment.

Cheers
Ed

Edited by thumbo

Moogerfooger mf101 with an expression pedal (or two) is very controllable.
Some 101's buzz a bit but you can fix this by shielding the insides of the wood panels with copper sheet.
I'll get some samples up using the ep in my review later.

[quote name='xgsjx' post='410005' date='Feb 15 2009, 12:19 PM']Moogerfooger mf101 with an expression pedal (or two) is very controllable.
Some 101's buzz a bit but you can fix this by shielding the insides of the wood panels with copper sheet.
I'll get some samples up using the ep in my review later.[/quote]

I'll look forward to having a listen ;)

Hi,

I managed to get a quick recording of it & have put it in the review section as part of my existing review.

Might be what you're looking for, or it might not be. Can get some good Synth like sounds with it as well as 70's funky wah.

I use a BBE optostomp at the end of my chain, it does a pretty good job of subtle compression, I dont get harsh peaks with any of my filter pedals (BMS, AF-9), the only time i actually notice it working is when i have my wah too loud and the peak causes a slight 'popping' sound, but that doesnt usually happen when i have the wah set up properly - and also the 'pop' isnt the speaker-killing kind.

They're about £60 and have two controls Volume and compression and an optional 15db pad

Its a pretty highly-regarded compressor and is the easiest to use.