Why become a member? ×

Best bassist from the last 10 years?

Randy_Marsh

There are far too many good bassists out there - in all genres of music - to possibly name just one overall - but if I had to pick one guy that is bugging the hell out of my right now and making me scratcjh my head in wonder it has to be Linely Marthe - he's just doing some of wildest and weirdest stuff on a 4 sting Jazz that I have ever heard... it's coming from a very deep place and he doesn't even practice (fact!)

M

[quote]Indeed - and he was replaced, in Jeff becks touring band, by one Tal Wilkenfeld.[/quote]

Love Tal's playing, she's very talented.

I like Richard Bona too, he's technically incredibly gifted but he's still a bit to weird for my taste. The whole scatting/playing thing really doesn't do it for me. Jimmy Haslip on the other hand...

[quote name='wombatboter' post='407428' date='Feb 12 2009, 11:07 AM']Maybe I overlooked but nobody mentionned Richard Bona yet...he's a revelation to me.[/quote]
+1

Thought that the clips of Tal Wilkinfeld were pretty amazing but the Julian Crampton clip didn't move me at all.. In a rock context, the guy from Muse is very, very creative I think..

Almost everyone mentioned here came to prominence well over 10 years ago...

I've got to go with Bona, Matt Garrison, Chris Wolstenholme and Ryan Martinie, and all four of them are pushing the 10-year mark too. Tal's not a bad player, very much a young female Marcus, but, let's face it, most of the reason she's well-known is because she's a) young, and b ) fit.

Edited by Russ

Chris Wolstenholme is probabally up the top of my list, along with Flea and Tim Commerford.

By the way, if you think Hysteria is good, try Futurism.

His stamina is insane, whilst some of the bass lines (eg Stockholm Syndrome) might not be too complicated they are ridiculously fast!

[quote name='liamcapleton' post='406334' date='Feb 11 2009, 02:32 PM']I think Tal Wilkenfield has had a big impact on bass recently, but I couldn't name one player in particular that's struck me as amazing that's come to prominence in the last 10 years apart from Paul Turner (who incidentally has been playing for much longer anyway). Zender was great also but he's been out since the very early 90's. Tom Barney's playing with Steely Dan is supreme as well.

I love Julian Crampton btw, but I don't think that video did him a lot of justice, he's better when he's sat in the pocket![/quote]That was a terrible clip, do you think he was nervous?

[quote]let's face it, most of the reason she's well-known is because she's a) young, and b ) fit.[/quote]

That's pretty unfair. It might just have a lot to do with the fact she's a good player.

[quote]That was a terrible clip, do you think he was nervous?[/quote]

I think some players just aren't suited for solo playing and fit much better in a band situation when they feel like they've got nothing to prove. Maybe he was having a bad day!

[quote]I don\'t do this \"best\" business. What do you mean by best?[/quote]

I may have worded it fairly badly, more who do you rate and who was the biggest influence etc...

Also does anyone like Jonas Hellborg? if so, why?

[quote]Least worst?[/quote]

LOL!

Edited by Randy_Marsh