Why become a member? ×

Arco Practice?

Hector

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone had any good practices for arco technique?

Having come from an electric bass background, I've found my arco technique is somewhat lacking. I can use a bow fine enough (classically trained up to grade 8), but I just don't feel at all comfortable with it. My tone isn't fantastic, and my speed is very limited (both of which I think are a product of poor bow control). I play in several orchestras, so I get a bit of practice from that, but I play mostly jazz. I'd love to have my arco as comfortable and fluid as my pizz though.

Also, was tempted to get that Rabbath DVD "The Art Of The Bow", since I can't afford to get a classical teacher as well as a jazz teacher. (Plus Jazz is where my heart really is, despite me not seeing any real difference between the two styles). Anyone had any experience with it?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't seen the Rabbath dvd but I really should buy it at some point. It's bloody expensive though.

Also Check out Neil Tarlton's edition of Sevcik. It's the violin bowing method adapted for bass. There's years worth of material to work at in that book.
Oh and practice in front of a mirror, it's a lot easier to spot when the bow's not straight or moving around too much on the string.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Hector' post='405367' date='Feb 10 2009, 02:24 PM']Hi Guys,

Was wondering if anyone had any good practices for arco technique?

Having come from an electric bass background, I've found my arco technique is somewhat lacking. I can use a bow fine enough (classically trained up to grade 8), but I just don't feel at all comfortable with it. My tone isn't fantastic, and my speed is very limited (both of which I think are a product of poor bow control). I play in several orchestras, so I get a bit of practice from that, but I play mostly jazz. I'd love to have my arco as comfortable and fluid as my pizz though.

Also, was tempted to get that Rabbath DVD "The Art Of The Bow", since I can't afford to get a classical teacher as well as a jazz teacher. (Plus Jazz is where my heart really is, despite me not seeing any real difference between the two styles). Anyone had any experience with it?[/quote]
Lessons dear chap, lessons. If you are playing in orchestras you must be of a decent standard already. There IS a correct way, a lot to do with the elbow moevment too, wished I had kept up double bass lessons. The few years I had seeing a teacher (not often enough due to lack of funds) are still with me when I do pick up the bow. However, double bass playing did make fretless bass playing a lot easier. Find an experienced player and take a few lessons now and then.

• 1 month later...

When i went to my bass teacher after having lessons at school for a few minutes a week, the first thing he got me to buy was Simandl's new method for bass, and it's nearly straightened up my bow angle and tone problems. I'd say practice would be the way to go- Just stick at it. Then again i've not been playing for long so it could be utter rubbish.