Why become a member? ×

Rockabilly slap bass pickup HELP

gusto

I have just got a 3/4 DB and have put a new set of Innovation Silver Slaps on it.

Can anyone help me with what pick up I should use?

I only want to get a cheap one for now and have been looking on ebay and saw these:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rockabilly-Duo-double-bass-pick-up_W0QQitemZ200288324129QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments?hash=item200288324129&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rockabilly-Duo-doubl...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACOUSTIC-TRANSDUCER-ELECTRIC-PICKUP-DOUBLE-BASS_W0QQitemZ390028682007QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL?hash=item390028682007&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACOUSTIC-TRANSDUCER-...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

But are they any good? or is there a better way of doing things for cheap?

Its only band practice so hasn't got to be amazing quality sound just loud enough for us to practice.

Any help or suggestions?

[quote name='gusto' post='405303' date='Feb 10 2009, 01:05 PM']I have just got a 3/4 DB and have put a new set of Innovation Silver Slaps on it.

Can anyone help me with what pick up I should use?

I only want to get a cheap one for now and have been looking on ebay and saw these:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rockabilly-Duo-double-bass-pick-up_W0QQitemZ200288324129QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments?hash=item200288324129&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rockabilly-Duo-doubl...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACOUSTIC-TRANSDUCER-ELECTRIC-PICKUP-DOUBLE-BASS_W0QQitemZ390028682007QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL?hash=item390028682007&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1229|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ACOUSTIC-TRANSDUCER-...%3A1|240%3A1318[/url]

But are they any good? or is there a better way of doing things for cheap?

Its only band practice so hasn't got to be amazing quality sound just loud enough for us to practice.

Any help or suggestions?[/quote]

I slap a lot and gave up on the extra pickup under the neck idea years ago, along with all the hassle of mixing the 2 signals and managing feedback, when I discovered that Rik Ramirez (with Wayne Hancock amongst others) didn't bother with one. Never regretted it. I use an underwood into a fishman pro eq platinum, and I get enough slap for me. But I don't play psychobilly.

£35 for the first (home made?) one sounds suspiciously cheap to me... and I don't see any way to adjust the mix levels or apply different tone settings.

£30 for a realist is a very good price, I'm sure. Reckoned to be a perfectly good pickup (I've never used one). It doesn't do the same job as the other one, ie picking up the slap separately from the note, but I'm kind of suggesting that maybe you don't need to. This is the one I'd go for.

I guess a lot depends on what you're playing and how loud the band is.

I have the K&K bass max and the clicky with the dual preamp for blending the sounds, just got it last week and I have to say I'm digging it. Had to get it shipped over from Gollihur music site so it was a bit pricey but it sounds cool.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-K-Rockabilly-slap-double-upright-bass-pickup_W0QQitemZ330305657106QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments?hash=item330305657106&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318"]Bloke seems to be selling one on ebay [/url]

It was a toss up between that and a fishman pro platinum but I just couldn't seem to get one of them for the right price, if anyone is selling one I'm still interested!

How are the silver slaps by the way? I have steels on my bass at the minute but was really interested in those strings.

Hi Teej,

Thanks for the help.
I'm playing through various amps at practice none of them that big, but my own rig is a Mesa 400+ and a SWR 6x10 wich is overkill for us as we aren't that loud really, were playing all 50's rock n Roll.

I'll try bidding on the realist pickup. What would you suggest after the pickup? Straight in to my Mesa and see how that is? or should I just buy a preamp?

Cheers, Gusto.

Edited by gusto

Hey Steviedee,
I think there is a Pro Plat on rockabillybass.com

The silver Slaps are really really good, great on the fingers and have a wonderful tone. Out of all the strings I have played on these are the best, and not too pricey in comparison (about 80 quid for a set). The people who suggested them to me swear by them and they apparently last forever.

[quote name='gusto' post='405416' date='Feb 10 2009, 03:05 PM']Hi Teej,

Thanks for the help.
I'm playing through various amps at practice none of them that big, but my own rig is a Mesa 400+ and a SWR 6x10 wich is overkill for us as we aren't that loud really, were playing all 50's rock n Roll.

I'll try bidding on the realist pickup. What would you suggest after the pickup? Straight in to my Mesa and see how that is? or should I just buy a preamp?

Cheers, Gusto.[/quote]

I don't bother with an amp - straight into the band's pa (yamaha stagepas 500) via the pro eq platinum using xlr cable. Sometimes have problems with monitoring, but generally it's all ok: more often than not set the speakers up behind us (never had any feedback problems). We aim for a low volume, compact set-up (we do a lot of busking, and often gig in tight corners, with all 3 of us and kit travelling in the drummer's sierra).

I guess the thing to do is try just the Mesa, and if it works, then fine; if not, go looking for a preamp.

[quote name='gusto' post='405416' date='Feb 10 2009, 03:05 PM']Hi Teej,

Thanks for the help.

Cheers, Gusto.[/quote]

I use a realist on my eminence EUB it sounds dreadful without a preamp. The pickup sounds great through an LR Baggs pre but if you read the posts on TB they all say its not a great pickup in high volume situations.

I can get very loud with a drummer, acoustic and electric guitars with the Eminence but the Eminence has a small body and is very feed back resistant. I dont know how well it would work with a 3/4 EUB.

Hope this helps

Steve

• 1 month later...

You can also pick up the shadow underwood clone cheap, sometimes on Ebay uk, and on Ebay.de also.I bought one not long ago for about £15 unused.
Good pickup for the dosh, picks up the slap ok, depending how It's EQ'd.
I use an underwood, with a pintech drum trigger or Schaller Oyster for the slap. I mix It with a D-tar Solstice(pricey but the best mixer/pre amp I've used and I've tried most).
Stevie, about the Silver slaps, I've got them on one of my basses just now, If you want to try them before you buy give me a shout, and you can try them on my bass sometime.

[quote name='teej' post='405475' date='Feb 10 2009, 04:27 PM']... with all 3 of us and kit travelling in the drummer's sierra).[/quote]

Rock n' Roll lifestyle! :)

Seriously - are those silver slaps good allrounders? Can you use a bow with them?

Hey Sy that would be great cheers, I'm going to try and catch you guys at the Glasgow Rhythm and Blues festival looking forward to it. The Chihuahuas are playing in the Griffin next Friday if you are around, we have a new fiddle player but haven't been able to get the box player and the him playing in the same room yet so it might be a bit of a rammy!

[quote name='steviedee' post='447988' date='Mar 28 2009, 11:39 AM']Hey Sy that would be great cheers, I'm going to try and catch you guys at the Glasgow Rhythm and Blues festival looking forward to it. The Chihuahuas are playing in the Griffin next Friday if you are around, we have a new fiddle player but haven't been able to get the box player and the him playing in the same room yet so it might be a bit of a rammy![/quote]

Great stuff Stevie, I'll try and get in next Friday, no had a good rammy fur a while.
The Silver Slaps are good if you're playing mostly slap, for more pizz the Inno Rockabilly' are probably better. They project a bit more & are a bit growlier, not tried the Super Silvers though, could be nice too.
Not tried bowing the Silver Slaps.