Why become a member? ×

GK Speakers

Kokomo5

HI GUYS

I HAVE  TWO 8 OHM CABS RATED AT 100 WATTS  EACH ,WHITH REGARDS TO A HEAD WOULD I BE BETTER GOING FOR A SAY 200GK MINI HEAD AS IF I USED SAY A 500WATT HEAD I COULD FRY THE SPEAKERS? MYSELF I AM A VERY QUIET PLAYER. JAZZ AND THE LIKE,

ANY THOUGHTS ?

BEST REGARDS

• Like 1

The GK mini head is 200w at 4 ohms so you would be OK with one  8ohm cab as it will put out 100w. With two cabs you will be running at 4 ohms so the risk of too much power from the amp becomes an issue. But the best test is to use your ears. You will hear very quickly if you are overloading the speakers, and if you are only playing quietly then this should be fine.

My only worry is, if you are only playing quietly then why are you shouting 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

With two cabs you will be running at 4 ohms so the risk of too much power from the amp becomes an issue. 

Just going on the numbers: the 200W is split between each of the two cabs, so that's 100W to each cab, which is fine.

But the best test is to use your ears. You will hear very quickly if you are overloading the speakers

This is the best advice really.

• Like 1

Thanks both for the information, I think I would be fine with the maybe GK 200 wmini into 4 hom I am now fully informed and can move forward 

Best Regards

Derek 

ps Mykes bass, A number of years ago I hitched a ride with my late friend Simon  CocksWonder Brass + Soul Serivisors / a great Bass and Barritone Sax player ( was a  Basschat member )we both met John and Simon was very happy with the Bass  a 5 string P style . I I think he had another made as well .at later date with a more indevidual look I was very impressed!

If you don't mind me saying you seem to have some very nice gear.Sorry about shouting

I will take note.

to John Shuker place to collect a bass he had made

Edited by Kokomo5
friends name Simon pink torpedos
  • Like 1

Just for info the GK MB200 puts out 200W @ 4 ohm and 140W @ 8 ohm so you could damage speakers if using just the one cab.

MB200is quite a loud wee amp for its size. I have one used for sound effects pedal as a DI to PA. Before that it was used as a back-up amp and at occasional rehearsals when i couldn't be bothered humfing a heavy amp around

Dave