Why become a member? ×

No! It's happened!

gafbass02

[quote name='Huggy and the Bears' post='405228' date='Feb 10 2009, 11:52 AM']Well this has given me some positive (I think?) reassurance! I'm 38, play covers and gig with a Stingray, sometimes with my Sunbust P bass (1988 62RI) and last night took delivery of a new Marcus Miller Jazz!

A good tip however is that slippers are really comfy for playing in at home. Not gigged yet with slippers on but I was wondering, if you were to gig wearing your slippers, what style would you go for...??? Is this the start of a new thread or am I losing the plot??? And ... would you have Jazz slippers, P Bass slippers and Stingray slippers??? Am I losing it???[/quote]

I think you questions are very valid and should be explored. I think whatever you feel most comfortable in. However Precision slippers have to be in patterned brown with the stretchy elastic on each side. Its classic, its retro and is the only way to go. Jazz slippers, well, they only came a few years after the Precision slippers and so should be made of either black or dark brown leather and don't require the stretchy bits on each side. They also don't have the heel lip. This makes the Jazz slipper thiner and much lighter. As for Stingray slippers, these can be any modern design from the late seventies up to modern day. Just beware of cheap copies or novelty ones with things like Homer Simpson or Dr Who designs. There are also another type you can buy. They are slab bodied and made of wood. Not as comfy but very solid. I believe they are known as cloggs.

;) :P

I'm 48, I play in an originals band, and although I did own a Squier VMJ for about a year I never have and never will own a Fender... ;-)

Having said that I have an audition for a covers band tomorrow night (I do like the audience appreciation!), but will balance that by hopefully releasing an album or two of original stuff later in the year.

PS I do wear slippers, but only because I find the idea of wearing outdoor shoes in the house unhygienic.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='BigRedX' post='405257' date='Feb 10 2009, 12:27 PM']I'm 48, I play in an originals band, and although I did own a Squier VMJ for about a year I never have and never will own a Fender... ;-)

Having said that I have an audition for a covers band tomorrow night (I do like the audience appreciation!), but will balance that by hopefully releasing an album or two of original stuff later in the year.

PS I do wear slippers, but only because I find the idea of wearing outdoor shoes in the house unhygienic.[/quote]

Whats wrong with just wearing socks???

[quote name='jmstone' post='405181' date='Feb 10 2009, 11:07 AM']That being said, I am auditioning next week for the "Dad's band" at my daughter's school, which plays Rhythm and Blues covers.. Still, gonna stick with using your Warwick Streamer for that one, so should be quite an amusing look. (not been too tempted by the sunburst option tbh!)

James[/quote]

I had to laugh hard at that one - I formed a 'Dad's Band' after I suggested they might like some real music at the 2005 barbecue instead of the CDs they used to play. We've since played at local pubs, charidee dos and have a few weddings booked. ALL covers mind you (including the Beatles, natch) and we're having a great time. Nothing too serious - If we don't all like the song, it doesn't get learned or played. AND I play a sunburst Jazz and a natural Sandberg California MM so I fit the stereotype perfectly.

Steve