Why become a member? ×

Can extended range basses also be medium scaled?

Born 2B Mild

I'm gradually ticking off my preference choices for the day I commission a custom six string bass (probably headless). The way I want to play this instrument will differ from my style using my regular 35" five string, and what I'm hoping for is to get the length of the neck shorter to say a 33" or 32". But is this really going to screw up getting a clear low B? Or can a combination of bridge type, woods and string type overcome this?

I'd be very interested in anyone's experiences of medium scale ERBs.

My W&T is a 33" scale. Whilst it is presently strung EADGC, I have had it strung BEADG as well. I found that it had no negative impact to the sound. In fact the 'feel' was tauter than other basses of similar repute that I've tried.

A guy on TB had Carey Nordstrand make him a 30" scale 6 string bass incorporating loads of little ideas into the design to optimise low B workability. To my knowledge he was satisfied it had worked. I think it was 'JimS' but I could be wrong.

Personally I don't think that an inch can make all that of a discernible much difference. more than an inch, i.e. 2", 3", one way or the other have a more noticeable effect. The main difference I found in shorter scale and longer scale instruments is that they feel different to play. I found 32" a bit toy-like. I was happy with 36" scale, didn't notice it til someone pointed it out, but it did explain why things had felt a bit more strenuous to play.

In summary, I reckon that great construction can make up for loss of scale length, and that you should be fine with 33/32" scale.

Mark

Hey there,
I've got a 33" Shuker 6 string with a Low B and have no problems with it whatsoever.
It doesn't have any additional tweaks to achieve extra tightness on the low B, it'll never be as good as the one on a Dingwall bass, with it's 37" scale on the B string, but it's just fine for me.
You can hear it here on this wee sound sample >> [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/03SlapandFingerFunk.mp3"]http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/03SlapandFingerFunk.mp3[/url]
I use the low B string about half way through and it was recorded direct without any other tweaking, bar a little from the onboard EQ.
The main critical thing that I think contributes is a brass nut and a decent break angle across it.
I'll have at the Scotland/North England Bass Bash in Moffat if anyone fancies a go...

My bass is a bolt on single cut and I've been talking to some folks about a low B on 30" scale, including Jim [b]T[/b] on TalkBass
Here's his bass, hope he doesn't mind me sharing the pic.
[attachment=19983:Jim_scSC6_long.jpg]
Jim is convinced that having the bass as rigid as possible helps a lot with the low B on his 30" scale, so neck through construction using rock 'ard woods, and the single cut design to a certain degree, will contribute to this.
As far as I'm aware, extended peg heads and stringing through body can't really do much with the note itself, as the speaking length of the string runs from where it leaves the bridge to where it hits the nut, however I guess the extended B headstock would let you use a long scale B string giving you more options without going custom for yer strings.

Hope that's enough info for you to get started, if you have any other questions though dude, just shoot.

Cheers,
Eude

Edited by eude

Thanks guys, this gives me food for thought. Before I start discussing my desires with luthiers, I thought this kind of digging around will throw up some of the options that have been tried and what users reactions there are.

Any other experiences welcomed.

33" scale will still retain enough tension in the strings to give a clear low B. alot of it is down to the luthier and the quality of the overall instrument (the matthew garrision signature fodera has 33" scale and the B on that sounds as good as any)

just out of interest, have you looked at possibly having fanned frets? i.e. longer scale on the lower strings.

hope this helps

Ben

Birdsong guitars do a 31" 5 string.

[url="http://www.birdsongguitars.com/images/Hy5sizestrat.jpg"]http://www.birdsongguitars.com/images/Hy5sizestrat.jpg[/url]

They pull this off with what they call a "Double String Through" system in a cavity on the underside of the guitar. You can see the string ends infront for the bridge! ;)

The resulting bases are very small. I haven't a clue how they play, but they look nicely made. The luthier is into simple, folky instruments and doesn't do fancy finishes etc. Bought a thumbrest off this guy and he was very helpful and friendly.

Edited by rjb