Why become a member? ×

Importing And Customs

spongebob

Linked to my previous post about getting a Ric 4004....

Has anyone had any experience of importing from the USA? I'm looking at used/nearly new.

My concern is the customs charges - how they are calculated, and so on.

Any thoughts or experiences on this would be great, I'm a bit worried that I might get stung!

[quote name='spongebob' post='404254' date='Feb 9 2009, 01:12 PM']Linked to my previous post about getting a Ric 4004....

Has anyone had any experience of importing from the USA? I'm looking at used/nearly new.

Any thoughts or experiences on this would be great, I'm a bit worried that I might get stung![/quote]

Import duty on instruments is a small percentage (about 3 or 4% iirc) but you'll have to pay 15% VAT on top of the total of cost+shipping+duty. And pay a fee to the courier for collecting it for you, expect a tenner at least.

I don't think it matters whether it's new or used.

[quote name='spongebob' post='404254' date='Feb 9 2009, 01:12 PM']Linked to my previous post about getting a Ric 4004....

Any thoughts or experiences on this would be great, I'm a bit worried that I might get stung![/quote]

what Bremen said is quite correct:

import duty at 4%
carriage approx £150
vat at 15% on cost of goods + duty + carriage - and it doesn't matter if it is new or second hand
UK carrier fee for duty collection at approx £15

but a few other things as well:

- NEVER be tempted to ask a the supplier to undervalue your gear - Customs will know the estimated value and will hammer you if caught.

- If it is through a US shop, get their bank account details and use your bank to transfer the cash. Only cost me £15 for currency exchange and money transfer and it took 48 hours to effect. More importantly, you are covered by the bank and your card details are not exposed.

I should add that for my import it took three days to come from the Mississippi to the UK but two weeks to clear Customs and get it from the Parcel Force in Newcastle......................

Hope you get what you want...........