Why become a member? ×

London bass shops

Graham

I should be on London for a bit this afternoon and thought perusing a couple of bass shops would be a good way to use the time.

I've not been instrument shipping in London for a few years, so where's good? Denmark Street and The Gallery still the places to go? 

I need to stay fairly central, but will be getting a travel card so can move around on the Tube

So I visited Wunjo's first, after stepping out of Tottenham Court Road and feeling nostalgic and missing The Astoria. There I tried a Stingray Special 5 and a Sandberg California TM5. 

The Stingray had a very nice neck albeit thinner than I am used to; shorter too - I've been playin 35" basses for the last three years. The tone was strong and authoritative and the build quality exemplary.

I liked the Sandbeg too, more variety in tone with the J/M pickups, but overall I think I preferred the Stingray. The amp at Wunjo's - a Fender Bassman - is quite different to the EBS I'm used to, which didn't help, trying to get a flat basline tone out of it wasn't obvious.

I then headed over to Camden and to Guitar Guitar, there I tried a Sadowsky Metro Express RV5, another Stingray and a Digwall NG3

This time the amp was a Markbass Littlemark III, so more in my ballpark.

I liked the Sadowsky the most, but was baffled by the controls until I googled what they were, once I understood what did what, I really liked it. Jazz 5s are definitely me, and it had the neck I enjoyed the most.

The Stingray was nice again and I enjoyed it more through the Markbass than I did through the Fender at Wunjo's.

I didn't like the Dingwall, I struggled to find a tone I liked from it and despite the 37" scale, found the low B certainly no better than the other basses I'd played and I think weaker than the Stingray and Sadowsky.

The main takeaway though was whilst I liked the Sadowsky, I found nothing I liked more than my Lakland DJ5 and despite really, really needing a new set of strings, I'm very happy with my bass.

I'm now enjoying a Thai crab dinner in Islington before pottering along to the Union Chapel for The Lounge Kittens penultimate performance.

• Like 1