Why become a member? ×

Output boost

bassmasta

Hi all,

I own an absolutle bargain Warwick Rockbass Streamer 5 string, and with some expenisve nice strings on it, it sounds fabulous for the cost, its just SO quiet!

I have been looking (and getting very lost) at putting some sort of boost on it, just to add volume before it gets to the amp.

I also play a very high output ibanez, and switching between these two instruments is a pain, as i have to adjust amp settings etc.

What im ideally looking for is an onboard pre-amp, however i do not want to change the bass itself (ie router out more room etc), so would be limited to 3 pots but there is tonnes of room for the electronics to go in the body.

Being a student i only have a limited budget, which is what is making it hard to find something good value for money, but not too expensive!!

Any help, ideas, products, links anything really, would be of great help

cheers
Nick

Dont forget a pre-amp needs a battery unless you have phantom power (and that aint cheap). Also actives are about tonal flexibility and not necessarily making a hotter signal. Of course it will be louder if you boost all the EQ's but with 2 band you end up with effectively a mid cut and that does not help cut through in a band situation.

Edited by bass_ferret

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rockpig' post='411657' date='Feb 17 2009, 01:38 AM']first have you tried raising the pick up height? another suggestion is put an EQ pedal between the bass and amp.[/quote]

I have raised the pickups as high as they will go, without effecting my playing. I have been looking at the EQ stomp boxes, and also behringer do an amp/instrument switch over where i can amplify the two different intruments by different amounts, and switch between them - although i have no idea how good these are.