Why become a member? ×

Preamps and sadness

Owen

18 hours ago, gjones said:

What were you expecting?

That is a fair question and TBH I am not sure. We all get attached to specific pieces of kit and believe that they help us achieve our "tone" (whatever that is). I was kind of expecting a more significant difference than the one I got. I will not be discussing what they were because there are so many variables in the equation that what is just "this is how it sounds when Owen plays through them with a badly set up bass and dead strings" easily becomes "that preamp is rubbish because I heard it next to some other ones". 

I guess that a well buffered input with enough headroom is all I need in a preamp. It kind of makes a mockery of my exhaustive efforts at trying every preamp that has ever been built.

On 20/02/2020 at 15:05, jay-syncro said:

Absolutely, there're loads of isolated bass tracks on YouTube. 

A couple of eye openers. 

This is an ear opener. Both sit well ion the mix, but isolated are not too clever,. Is therehoepo for me yet ...nah

On 04/03/2020 at 09:53, Chienmortbb said:

This is an ear opener. Both sit well ion the mix, but isolated are not too clever,. Is therehoepo for me yet ...nah

some of that flea playing is immense though - and to my ears it sounds pretty good