Why become a member? ×

Stuff that great to you now after initially being quite disappointed

Barking Spiders

Two - "Tiny Music...Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop" by Stone Temple Pilots, and "King For A Day, Fool For A Lifetime" by Faith No More.

The first was really different from their previous release "Purple", and I was not expecting it to sound so lo-fi, and as weird as it did. but Robert DeLeo's bass tone on a lot of the tracks is really cool, and "Art School Girl" is amazing.

Second, FNM came out with this absolutely schizophrenic masterpiece in 1995, three years after "Angel Dust", and, again, it was so different to previous stuff that it caught me unawares I think. It's punk, funk, loungey, nasty, disturbing, but above all it's Faith No More-y and it's my favourite album of theirs. :)

• Like 1

When I was a young goth student I supplemented my grant by doing funk djing... As this was back in the 80s I had no idea how to find records by new funk artists - the NME and Sounds were no help!

So I'd go and browse Jumbo Records imports section (can you tell where I was?) and buy anything with a black guy on the cover holding a bass, especially if it said in the credits "thanks to God and my mom"

One day I bought an album that fulfilled all those criteria - sharp suit, sharp haircut, Stenberger bass, thanks to God and mom... Took it home expecting The Bomb, and it was a crazy jazz cacophony - funky, to be fair, but absolutely mad with ridiculous widdling and absolutely no-one urging us to hold our hands in the air.

I late learned (after I had an epiphany and grew to love it, just not for discos!) that the man was Ornette Coleman's Prime Time bass player, and the album was:

R-1766218-1258058991.jpeg.jpg

• Like 2

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco

had it for a year giving occasional half hearted listens but not really seeing what all the fuss was about, then stuck it in car and listened to it three times through and the rest is history.

Reckon Wilco are one of the best bands out there.