Why become a member? ×

Another newbie

soopercrip

Hi all,
Another newbie and another oldie i'm afraid.
I didn't pick up a bass until 4 years ago (49) after a lifetime of " I will do it soon, just gotta do this first".
A road accident that has taken 7 years to recover from, left me with 'a little' spare time, so I finally did it.
Got fingers like cows t*ts so I couldn't cope with fiddley lead stuff, so I got a bass.
Totally hooked.
Got 5 now and an overwater on it's way, when Chris May finally glues all the bits on.
I can't believe I didn't do this when I was 17.
Not talented enough for a band ;) ( and maybe too old to start LOL) but the satisfaction I get from playing is
more than sufficient.
Still sussing out the site so go easy on the acronyms etc, eh?
Ta!
Andy

[color="red"]stuff[/color]
Jazz deluxe, stingray, j.d. supernatural, Yamaha bb605, and the compulsory squier jazz.
G.K. 700RB2 G.K.1x15 and 4x10 cabs. bass pod.

Hi Andy and welcome

I only took up bass 2 years ago at 46 after my 9 year old son got one for his birthday and I started to have lessons to encourage him.

His bass is sold now but I carried on and I now play with a group of mates who have all been playing for years. We've played in a frieds cafe and at a village hall and we have a third live "gig" (I suppose it counts playing all night in front of 150 people) at another friends party.

I'm not that good but I get so much enjoyment out of playing live with others.

Even though i prefer different music to them it's still worth findng someone to play with.

Like you I keep wishing I'd done it years ago but I intend to keep going now.

Pete

Thanks BeLow
Only got some pics of my Jazz at the moment, (no david bailey me).
It's a bit rare and a bit of a b*st*rd child as Fender don't accept it as a signature bass.
I spoke to Adrian Ashton at bass guitar magazine (he has one) and he told me the history.
Imported by Arbiter I think, had sims l.e.d's added and endorsed by Mark King. Came with signed photos
of Mark with the bass and stuff.
I have No29 of 42 made. Bought it on e-bay in a frenzied last 5 minutes in which it went up by
over a grand.
It had spent 8 years under previous owners bed.
Wether it's approved by Fender or not there are still only 42 of them and I have one and love it.
Still pristine, sounds excellent, play it when I'm low and it makes me smile :P
[attachment=19843:IMAG0461.JPG][attachment=19844:IMAG0462.JPG][attachment=19846:IMAG0464.JPG]

Hi Peter
Thanks for the welcome. Doesn't it make you wonder where you would be, if you had done it all those years ago?
Scary thoughts ;)

[quote name='BeLow' post='402210' date='Feb 6 2009, 05:48 PM']Looks a great bass - are you in the south west?[/quote]
Up on the east coast north of hull, where the most exciting thing to happen is watching the traffic lights
change from red to green. ( it's on a thursday afternoon at 3.10pm if you are in the area)

[quote name='kdphysio' date='Feb 5 2009, 10:27 PM' post='401587']
Mate, never think that! Have you heard some of the sh*t out there!! :P

I guess your right mate, but it still feels good just to get it right sometimes. And some of the 'sh*t' is all
some people want I guess ;)

[quote name='Peter Train' post='401570' date='Feb 5 2009, 10:16 PM']Hi Andy and welcome

I only took up bass 2 years ago at 46 after my 9 year old son got one for his birthday and I started to have lessons to encourage him.

His bass is sold now but I carried on and I now play with a group of mates who have all been playing for years. We've played in a frieds cafe and at a village hall and we have a third live "gig" (I suppose it counts playing all night in front of 150 people) at another friends party.

I'm not that good but I get so much enjoyment out of playing live with others.

Even though i prefer different music to them it's still worth findng someone to play with.

Like you I keep wishing I'd done it years ago but I intend to keep going now.

Pete[/quote]

Playing in front of 150 people, I suppose that counts as a gig? My band played last night, in a pub, in a town called Elderslie (birth place of William Wallace dont ya know!) to 12 people! 3 were barmaids, 5 were folk we had dragged along on promise of free beer (ha, ha, we lied!) and 4 were punters. Mind you, the 4 punters said we were bloomin good. Ah well, still got paid and got the promise of more bookings.

Get out there my good man and play with anyone you can, even if it`s not your style of music. You`ll improve quicker and have a good laugh along the way if you can find the right bandmates. But gettin the right bandmates is a whole other story.....

Jez