Why become a member? ×

EHX Bass Micro Synth problem

Huw Foster

Seems my micro synth is a bit temperamental. More often than not the filter sweep stops working while I'm using it - that is, it doesn't sweep from 'start freq' to 'stop freq'. It'll occasionally sort itself out if I switch it off and on again, but that's not a permanent solution and it doesn't always work.

Has anyone else had this problem, or something similar?

I got it new just over a year ago, and I only just got away with using it at a gig once! It's incredibly frustrating - I'd love to be able to use it more, as it's spent most of the time gathering dust.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Huw

Sounds like it's not getting enough signal to trigger the sweep. Is your bass turned up, and are there any pedals before it in your chain? Maybe something could be lowering the input level or messing with your attack?

I'm assuming you know how it works and you've adjusted the preamp gain appropriately, given that you've had it a year.

Well, I assume it's getting enough signal to trigger the sweep, as the rest of the pedal is working fine - the voice mix (sub octave, guitar, square wave etc) is unaffected, as is the attack delay and resonance.

I'll try to describe the problem further - I'm pretty sure the issue is with the 'stop freq' fader. If I set 'start freq' to minimum and 'stop freq' to maximum, the filter gets 'stuck' at the low frequency - if that makes any sense? I can also manually sweep by adjusting the 'start freq' fader, but moving the 'stop freq' fader has no effect whatsoever.

[quote name='Huwberry' post='401204' date='Feb 5 2009, 04:26 PM']I'll try to describe the problem further - I'm pretty sure the issue is with the 'stop freq' fader. If I set 'start freq' to minimum and 'stop freq' to maximum, the filter gets 'stuck' at the low frequency - if that makes any sense? I can also manually sweep by adjusting the 'start freq' fader, but moving the 'stop freq' fader has no effect whatsoever.[/quote]

That sounds like a knackered BMS to me.

When the filter's not sweeping, the tone of the filter is set by the stop freq. slider, not the start freq. You only ever hear the sound of the start freq. slider when the filter begins to sweep, so if that's all your hearing (never the stop freq. tone) it sounds like something is seriously wrong with it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='401222' date='Feb 5 2009, 04:36 PM']That sounds like a knackered BMS to me.

When the filter's not sweeping, the tone of the filter is set by the stop freq. slider, not the start freq. You only ever hear the sound of the start freq. slider when the filter begins to sweep, so if that's all your hearing (never the stop freq. tone) it sounds like something is seriously wrong with it.[/quote]

No - I would say that the trim pot on the underside of the unit needs adjusting. Sounds exactly like you are not getting a strong enough signal into the pedal to trigger the filter. Or just bring your trigger slider back right back down to to a lower setting (where did you have that set?)

[quote name='ritch' post='401758' date='Feb 6 2009, 09:02 AM']No - I would say that the trim pot on the underside of the unit needs adjusting. Sounds exactly like you are not getting a strong enough signal into the pedal to trigger the filter.[/quote]

If he's hearing the tone set at the start freq. slider then it sounds to me like the filter sweep is triggering, it's just not sweeping. The BMS won't output that frequency unless you pass the trigger threshold.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='401769' date='Feb 6 2009, 09:20 AM']If he's hearing the tone set at the start freq. slider then it sounds to me like the filter sweep is triggering, it's just not sweeping. The BMS won't output that frequency unless you pass the trigger threshold.[/quote]
That sounds like it might be the problem... only thing is, how the hell is it fixed?!

I have a bad feeling about the answer ;)

(Thanks for the help though!)

At the risk of hi-jacking the thread, I checked the instructions for mine (both pages!) and noticed:

WARNING: Your Bass Micro Synth comes equipped with an Electro-Harmonix 9.6DC-200BI power supply (same as used by Boss(tm) & Ibanez(tm) 9.6 Volts DC 200mA). Use only the adaptor supplied. Using the wrong adapter can cause serious bodily injury. Using the wrong adapter may also damage your unit and will void the warranty. In addition, do not use a daisy chained supply with the Micro Synth. The Micro Synth must have its own power supply.

Is this anti-lawsuit bullshit, or is it genuine? Will using a daisy-chain cause serious bodily injury or damage the unit? Back OT, will it prevent the filter sweep from sweeping?

[quote name='Huwberry' post='401890' date='Feb 6 2009, 11:34 AM']That sounds like it might be the problem... only thing is, how the hell is it fixed?![/quote]

Sorry, I don't know. Assuming it is a fault, I don't even know who (aside from EHX themselves) could fix it for you. There might be someone in the UK who could do it, or maybe not...

I take it the warranty has expired?

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='401929' date='Feb 6 2009, 12:31 PM']Will using a daisy-chain cause serious bodily injury or damage the unit? Back OT, will it prevent the filter sweep from sweeping?[/quote]

IIRC the XO BMS can't be daisy-chained because it has a positive ground (most 9v pedals are negative ground), so it will just short the power to everything.

Whether you or your pedal will get hurt I don't know - I'm not going to experiment with mine to find out for you. ;)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='401953' date='Feb 6 2009, 12:54 PM']Sorry, I don't know. Assuming it is a fault, I don't even know who (aside from EHX themselves) could fix it for you. There might be someone in the UK who could do it, or maybe not...

I take it the warranty has expired?[/quote]
Yeah it's no longer under warranty... Argh, this is so frustrating! I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions though... at least I'd be able to describe the problem effectively if I was to find someone who can repair it. :P